Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan L

Time for new tires

17 posts in this topic

I have a GMC Sierra pick up and it's time for new tires. Right now I am ruuning a bridgestone tire with a P rating which I guess stands for passenger vehicle. What are you guys running for tires the P rating or the LT for light truck? I pull an 18' boat and prefer a smooth quiet ride but I don't want a tire that is under designed.

My 04 Silverado came with the P rated Bridgestone's on it, but when it came time to get new tires at 74K I went with LT tires in a C load range. They ride a bit rougher, and they're not as quiet. It is a truck though, so it doesn't bother me grin

Bridgestone dueller (anything but the H/T) and BF goodrich all terrain t/a's. Two of the best wearing tires you can put on a GM. Get the front end checked/aligned and they will last a long time!!

bfg all-terrains last a long time and arnt noisy. the goodyear wranglers and good also thats what i company i work for uses on all there salesmans trucks so theres a reason for it. also ive heard but never used the yokohama geolanders. i guess there a nice tire also. outa those 3 id just search around and find the one with the best deal. you cant go wrong with any of the 3 i just said

I love cooper tires. They are priced right and last for a very long time. I worked at a shop that sold them, very good for the money.

I've had good luck with Toyo open country a/t on 2 of my pickups. Last a LONG time. With that said i'll also vote for the Bridgestone Duelers (Not H/T) or the BFG's. Any will give you great preformance. Check around for the best deal and service after the sale (free rotate, or free rotate & balance)

I put LT265/16s load D on my k1500. I wanted beefier tires. First set was Ps, second LT load C, now using D's (similar to old school 8 plys I think). Not as much rolling, I swear better mileage, but maybe just in my head wink as I run higher pressure. I have been carry pretty good loads, as I don't really use it for daily driving anymore. Works great hunting and fishing and towing and the tread is deeper. I think I have 30k on this set and they still look new.

My wife notices it rides rougher, but that wa sdue to suspension change I did as well. I use off brand Wild Country XTX, costs a lot less, works just a good IMHO. Kumho Venture ATs were good tires as well. My original Wranglers lasted a long time, but traction wasn't great.

For daily driving I might go back to LT load C.

Airjer - Why not the H/T? Don't know much about tires and a guy at a local shop recommended them.

Thanks for your help!

I personally have not had any luck with any BFG's. I had a set of All Terrains and the Mud Terrains and I only got about 30,000 out of the AT's and 25,000 from the MT's. My best mileage and best riding tires were a set of Yokahamas I had on a 1 ton I used to have. I had 75,000 when I replaced them. My new truck has BFG Long Trails but I don't have enough miles on them to form an opinion yet. I'm sure I will go back to Yokahamas when the time comes.

Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. My last set went 105k before I sold the truck, and I could have done another 20k on them. I just put a set on my new truck and have 15k with zero wear, and incredible traction. I have no doubt these will go over 100k.

I had a set of BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/As and they were the worst tires I've EVER used, and I've used quite a few. I wouldn't use those again if they were given to me.

Airjer - Why not the H/T?

H/T, IMO, stands for hypothetical traction! And thats exactly what they had. I think they are intended for highway use in climates with no snow. I had about 32k on them and they where pretty well worn.

H/T HIGHWAY TRAVEL. i agree with airjer. No traction

I put a set of Goodyear SR-A's on my Ranger over the winter. Huge improvment ove the RT-S's that came on the truck. they are a LT tire and ride a little stiffer, but I think its a great tire.

I know when I had a set of wranglers they seemed to be a little loud, but they did have great traction.

I just put Michelins LTX M&S on my 2005 Chevy because I'm be keeping it for another 80,000 miles. The ride is much better and received $70 off for buying them at Sam's. The deal just started and will last until early July. My only question is should I get it aligned even though it rides down the road perfectly straight?

Bridgestone dueller (anything but the H/T) and BF goodrich all terrain t/a's. Two of the best wearing tires you can put on a GM.

I've posted this many, many times every time the "Tire Question" comes up. I put a tad over 100k on my last set of BFG All-Terrains which were on my 99 GMC Sierra. Previous truck with All-Terrains had 80,000 miles on those tires when I traded it off.

I've had 2 flat tires over all those miles. 1 was a nail puncture, the other I knocked the bead loose while screwing around on Upper Red Lake on the ice.

BFG A/T is the only tire I will run now.