• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tilt and trim???????????

croixeyes

Question

13 answers to this question

When you press the button, does the the trim motor run? If not it is probably a solenoid or the switch is bad. Do you have a manual? If you do and can find the housing you can switch the solenoids to rule a solenoid problem.

Trim relay. Had a '99 60HP Merc and the same thing happened to me. Take the cover off the engine and look for a couple of relays mounted beside the engine block on the flat horizontal surface. One is for up and one is for down. If you stand by the engine with the cover off you should be able to hear and/or feel the good one click if you have someone hit the trim buttons. They are fairly inexpensive and probably a good idea to just replace both of them at the same time. I believe there was a bolt or two holding each of them to the mounting surface. Five minute job.

Thanks guys I.Lmitout,I did see those.Ill go check to see.It did work earlier today but when I hit the down switch you could hear it working to make a connection if that makes sense.I cant find my manual on the motor,but I think the parts you are talking about are right under the starter.Thanks again...

I'm trying to remember how mine worked (if they clicked or not). The relay may be clicking but the contacts are bad and not making connection too. Mine was intermittent and you had to hit the down button a number of times and then it'd go down.

Either way, you can tap the up button and figure out which relay is associated with the up command, then you'll pinpoint which one is possibly faulty because they aren't labeled. Swap the two and see if the problem reverses (down works now but up doesn't). Then you'll know for sure.

Thats a great Idea if I can just figure out where they unplug.I gotta go to a parts HSOforum to see if that will help.Kinda tight working quarters in there.I wonder if I should take off the starter for this?

Yea,they are tucked right under the starter.Im gonna search for my manual first,but if unsuccessful im gonna download a manual.I wanna try switching those relays around like you said thanks for the help,Ill let you know how it turns out....Thanks again.

Again, when you find them you can switch them. If the problem moves to the other direction you have found your problem. If not you will need to look elsewhere.

But a little further thinking maybe just pull them off and re-seat them to make sure you are getting a good connection.

Thanks for the help guys...I did switch them around this morning and down worked but up did not.I found the relays I needed and just got done switching them out.My goodness I love it when something goes as planned.On my motor they are located under the starter so I had to take it off several times while checking out if they were bad.The good thing is I can take that starter off with my eyes closed now wink.Thanks again for the help,It sure beats taking it into a shop to have it done,when its something I can do myself...