• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy set-up

KG243

I was out this morning and had two jakes and a hen for decoys, I had a bird that came in form behind me through some really thick stuff. Long story short, once he saw the decoys he turnd around and left. Am I using to many jakes? That is the only thing I can think of, because i dont think he could have seen me as I was ina blind and only had the window open a crack. I am thinking he did'nt want to get his butt kicked.... Any help would be great.

I got sold on the jake by a salesman when I first got into turkey hunting and havent bought any more decoys since. I had my uncle with me this morning so we threw his decoys into the mix. I did find another great spot for Monday morning, I have to out do the MUCH OLDER brother, should'nt be to hard! I already have him beat though for first birds, mine was just a bit bigger then yours from this year. I still think you should have made him call in his own birds, but then again the season is only five days!

I used the Jake Mobile decoy from Primos. I used the artificial tail it comes with. I also used one hen. We had two toms come out and they ran right to the jake. We should have doubled, but my partner missed. We went out and picked up my bird and were talking by the blind when more birds gobbled close. We got back in the blind and five minutes later 4 toms came running in. They too went right to the jake. After one separated enough for a safe shot, we had our second bird.

I was drawn for the first week and noticed a lot of the people on the border property showing a intrest in the turkeys to a point that they started roosting the birds and calling to them alot so it dosen't much matter if your drawn early anymore in my area it helps but the birds are smart before I hit the blind. sick

Using dekes is like calling, sometimes they come, sometimes they go away. Last year first day of C, tom saw my jake came running. After I shot, took pics and walked to my truck, om the way back two toms showed up and flattened the foam jake. Wish I'd still been in the blind 5' away.

Jake dekes can be deadly but sometimes even just a hen d will spook them. That jake is best in mid to late seasons. Get more aggressive as the season get later, to a point. They all react different but it's much easier to dial it up than turn it down.

Sat AM, my brother's tom (2 yr old)gobbled and came to soft purrs. He didn't like the jake or hen deke. Two live hens fed in front of us. A likely older tom was still out of sight. Been watching 1 hen that left, when the 2 others showed, told my bro to be ready, that tom would follow and did. Pulled him to about 25 yds not completely clear. But the tom wanted to leave so he set down the bow and took him with the 12 ga. Without the dekes maybe the arrow'd have let loose. My turn to try w/arrow in E.

Good luck ...test the tom's 'Temperature'

Originally Posted By: KG243
I may have to try no decoys?

Most of my turkey have been shot without decoys. Every situation is different though.

Same here.

I'll set some out in the morning for those birds that will pitch out of the roost to me, but after that I rarely use em.

Most of the time if I can get a response from a bird, I'll just do some finesse calling to coax him my way.

I would like to try a full size strutter deke once though.

Hens tend to face eachother while feeding. I'd put hens 10 yrds. out in front and off to the side of the blind. If incorporating a jake, have him facing the hens but about 30- yards out. A challenging tom will usually confront the jake head on. If the jake is facing your general direction the toms sight blocking tail can buy you opportunity for movement.

Agree with what the others have said, so much, whether it be calling or decoys, depends on the mood of each individual bird. Although I usually go without decoys (because too many times I have been burned by them) I will use dekes if it is early in the season, because toms, especially dominant birds, are more in the fighting mood. By the time the later seasons roll around, less dominant Toms may have had their rear kicked around too many times and may shy away from a tom or a jake decoy and there is a better chance a bird has already been spooked in someone elses decoy setup and may now be weary of them.

That said, this year I had two toms come strutting in to my 2 hens and jake, go figure.

At times when dekes are effective I like two setups. Most often a hen facing me with a jake a couple feet closer also facing me. The tom will go around the hen and turn to face the jake giving a chance to draw the bow. If they face away a tom may hang expecting them to come to him.

The other setup I use less but when the timing is right its great. Still both facing me put the hen low to the ground (head up)and the jake standing tall inches behind her. Both sets reduce any intimidation factor for older toms.

Good luck, be safe and remember you have to see the beard.