• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Depth finder does not work-

riverrat56

Question

I was getting the boat ready yesterday, got the depth finder put back in, and it won't turn on.

It's a cheapy, an Eagle Fish Mark 320, I checked voltage at the plug and there is 12.8v getting to the depth finder. It worked last fall and was stored inside all winter, now it does nothing at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

11 answers to this question

I've had that problem in the past, and I'll tell you what mine was.....I sanded the contacts on the plug, sanded the fuse ends AND the contacts on both ends...still didn't work. Then I took the fuse out, and stretched the spring out a little...walah, that did it. Every contact is suspect....after double-checking all those and the fuse, it could be the switch. The finders I have will not work if the voltage is down too low (10.5 V mostly). Every dirty contact can drop the voltage a little more.

How did you measure voltage at the connector end, and what did you use? 12.8 volts on the power wire, what about the ground side, try using a test light across the power and ground terminals on the connector. If it will light a test light brightly then you have checked the power and ground circuit and ruled out voltage drop as well. A dvom will measure voltage, but doesn't put a load on the circuit as a light does. If the light glows dimmly, you have a voltage drop, or high resistance, at a connection or in a wire. If the light is bright that circuit is alright and its on the depthfinder side of the connection.

Capt Don has a good point, most multimeters have a 1MegaOhm resistance across the voltage side terminals.

The other would be to make sure the pins are both present in the back of the finder case, I had one get damaged before, I dont know how but something bent the pin over.

Thanks for the help guys, I know there is no problem at all with the voltage getting to the plug, I even bypassed the fuse and fuse holder just to check if that was the problem.

Not really sure if I want to tear into the depthfinder itself yet, but it does sound as if the power switch could be bad?

With an Eagles 502C I've had problems with the copper sleeves inside the female end of the plug peeling away from one side of the plug. The pin on the depth finder doesn't make good contact and the unit won't power up. When I'd check it with a tester light it would light up because the pointed end on the probe would go in deeper and make contact.

I used a dental pick to carefully bend the sleeve back into the right position and it worked for about a year. It's conected to a Minnkota with US so I got a new link when it happened a second time. Now I'm carefull when I plug it in to make sure everything lines up just right.