• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

double rigging

bucketmouth64

I saw an episode on in-fisherman about double rigging for panfish using curly tails. Is this legal in MN? Tried to look it up in the regs., but the only thing I read that was close to it, that is legal, was using three artificial flies fishing for trout, panfish, rock bass.

If the crawler harness is used for one crawler, then it is one lure. You can put two baits on one hook, like adding a nightcrawler to a plastic, and you can put two hooks into one bait as in the crawler harness. When each hook gets its own bait, each is counted separately, regardless of whether there is a spinner ahead of the whole thing or not.

If the crawler harness is used for one crawler, then it is one lure. You can put two baits on one hook, like adding a nightcrawler to a plastic, and you can put two hooks into one bait as in the crawler harness. When each hook gets its own bait, each is counted separately, regardless of whether there is a spinner ahead of the whole thing or not.

That is correct.

What I don't understand is the "three artificial flies for trout, panfish and rock bass". I tried to get an explanation from the MN DNR but was told they all had to be tied together at the hook eye, somehow, and that didn't make any sense.

Related to that is the question of whether a dressed panfish jig qualifies as a "fly" in that context. A weighted nymph is a fly but then isn't a Flu Flu by pretty much the same standards?

I have been playing it safe and staying with a single panfish jig on a single rod, preferring to have someone else explain it to me rather than my having to try explain anything to a judge.

So the Perch and Crappies jigs that have one hook comeing out of each side for a total of two hooks that are ment to each have a minow on them (so the minows fight against each other for better action) are actually illegal then?

Quote:
I saw an episode on in-fisherman about double rigging for panfish using curly tails. Is this legal in MN? Tried to look it up in the regs., but the only thing I read that was close to it, that is legal, was using three artificial flies fishing for trout, panfish, rock bass.

Tie three streamer on your line drop shot style.

Tie two pieces of line onto the end of your line using A surgeons knot leaving the tag end of the main line 8” long. Do the same with the other pieces of line. Tie the fly or streamers to the 8" long tag ends.

It is much easier to do with a fly rod.

One of the technique is to tie a spider or some other floating fly onto your line then tie a line to the hook and add a nymph to the “dropper” line. This is a standard Trout fishing search setup. How many time have you had a fish hit your float (strike indicator)?

Here's a visual on the flyfishing double rig:

DropperFly2.jpg

I use it fly fishing without a strike indicator. The first fly usually acts a "bobber" and the trout are caught on the dropper fly.