• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 batteries one boat...

GBPackerNut

Question

Here is the situation:

3 batteries,

2 are needed for the 24v vector I have in back.

one is needed to start the motor.

Do you all hook up accessories (livewell, lights, depthfinders) and such to the main cranking battery, and just watch the voltage, and fire up the motor to charge off the alternator as needed.

Or do you chose to run the accessories of the first of the other two batteries, in a split 12/24 system, and leave the motor battery just for starting?

I believe the motor has a 15Amp alternator, so charging shouldn't be a problem.

Time to move the batteries around and do some wiring, so trying to figure out the best way.

5 answers to this question

Charley is correct, run the accessories off your starting battery. For sure the depthfinder to make sure you don't get interference.

FYI your alternator is probably only putting out the 15 amps at WOT, you need to do a lot or running to put much of a charge back in your battery.

On-board chargers are awesome for maintaining your batteries, extending their life, and making sure you don't have an unpleasant surprise when you get to the boat ramp.

Yep, I have a MinnKota 315 on board charger, it puts out 5 amps into 3 different banks. so keeping the batteries in good shape shouldnt be a problem.

Was wondering about that interference, because on the old boat my trolling motor seemed to cause some interference with the depth finder, but I never thought that it sharing a battery could be the cause.

If your running your depth finder off of the trolling motor battery you are more than likely going to have some interference on it when you are using the trolling motor unless you have some filtering in the power line going to your depth finder.

I think each setup is different, but I know I tried using my cranking battery for my electronics and etc and it didn't work. I was blowing fuses and my fish finder would turn off by itself. After I got a separate battery just for electronics and etc I haven't had these issues anymore. I'd try it and see what happens.