• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance 522C or Separate Units

BlueBasser

Hey Guys trying to decide if I should buy a Lowrance 522C or split the units up by going with a separate fish locater and GPS like an iFinder H20C???

The reason I would go separate is to also use the GPS for ice fishing. Though the folks at Lowrance tell me that the 522C can be used for ice fishing?

Just wondering if you guys have thoughts or experience with this type of stuff?

Thanks!

I have multiple 5 inch screens in my boat, which I use as GPS only or FishFinder only, because when you split the screens they get pretty small. But even if you split the screen on a 5 inch unit ------ it will still be bigger than the screen on an H2Oc.

I use an H2O for ice fishing and it works great for that, but the screen on the H2O is hard to see in the boat. Especially if you're using the mapping cards from LakeMaster or Navionics, it's nice to have a larger screen to see all the info they have to show you.

The 522c is discontinued but you might still find some at some retailers. It was replaced by the HDS-5x, which is on sale right now plus has a 2 year warranty and a $50 rebate so you can get into one for less than $600. If you want you can check out the HDS-5 and the sale pricing HERE.

i have 2 520c in mine i thought it might be hard to see when you split it but its ok the one in my bow fits in the hole so its recessed and actually you are also just lookin at one unit so you follow the chip and see the depth at the same time rather than hafta look at 2 units

the one on the dash i guess could be a alittle bigger only when i sit in the back to back troll its alittle hard see but i'm going to put a flasher in the back then i'll have the whole screen on gps for following the breaks

but like in the bow i split it and i'm 6'2 so i sit up pretty high but i can read it fine

I have a 522c in my boat and love it, was going to get a second for up front, but looks like they are gonners. Pearch is the HDS-5x networkable with the 522?

I got the ice kit for my 522c and love it. I use it for the GPS all the time, much better than my H2O. I also use the graph for fishing through ice, especially on the river. But mainly use my LX-5 and then the 522c for GPS. I have no problem with the split screen. They are nice units IMO.

It's a pretty common debate around here - you can do some searching for some older things - but I will say this - if I had a chance to do it all over again - I would not own an H20 for my boat. I want a larger screen.

Same here.

My buddy has a 522c and even with the screen split, I can see that thing easily from several feet away. Not so with my H2Oc

do you guys find that the gps on the 522c is more accurate than the H2Oc? i have a H2Oc and it is way off with telling we where i am at on the water/ice. it says i am in 80fow and im in 20. anyone else have this issue?

You might have a couple things going on --- one is that you might not be getting a good position reading from your GPS. You can look at the EPE - estimated position error - to see how accurate it is. The longer you have the GPS turned on (and in good position to view the satellites) the lower the EPE will be. The EPE should be around 20 feet. The other thing is the map card you're using may not be accurate - they're not perfect (some of them aren't even close). The high definition maps are a lot more accurate than the other maps.

To answer your other question, there shouldn't be much difference between an H2Oc and a 522c in terms of accuracy, but the thing the 552c has going for it which makes a lot of guys think it's more accurate is that it's always turned on and is always in position and looking for satellites. Handheld GPS units tend to be turned on and off frequently by the user, and the longer they're left on and in position to receive satellites the more accurate they'll be.