• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging line -rocky bottoms

Genofish

I tend to lean towards a mono like an xt or a flouro for jiggin rocky bottoms but will jig many times with xl because I like the versatility for other applications. The xt or an abraison resistant line will give you a slightly better feel for both the bottom and bites then a limp line. Depth is a consideration as a stiffer line in current will not bow as much as a limp line. I don't like the superlines because I am old school and like to set the hook when I feel pressure. If you fish your jig slightly above the rocks and snags then a limp line will perform well. Touch bottom and lift and hover or let fall versus searching for the bottom by draggin your jig and it will reduce the amount of hangups thet you experience. My .02

Tunrevir~

I use Gamma Copolymer for most of my jigging and am very happy with it, prior to that I was a mono user but no more.

I jig with superlines at times but I don't like it nearly as much, only in deep water (30+ feet deep) or current where the extra sensitivity is needed). And if you're in rocks where you're snagging a lot the superlines will be a headache when you need to break off and retie.

I agree wholeheartedly with Perchjerker, Gamma is my choice in line. Will never go back to mono after 2 years of using it. Try it, you won't be disappointed. 4# is usually my choice for jigging, but will use 6# or 8# in certain situations.

I like jigging with Power Pro in rivers and vertical jigging deep water. Otherwise in rocks its Trilene XT, Maxima or Gamma. I find maxima to have a lot of stretch but it has super abrasion qualities. Steelhead guys used to use it a lot up here.

I was running Berkley Vanish Transitions this summer in Canada where we were constantly dragging over timber and rocks. I was shocked at how well it held up. I know there is a large contingent of anti-Berkley people on here but Vanish Transitions has impressed me. Its done very well.

Listen to walleye365, unless you hate losing jigs. Since switching to power-pro I now recover probably 90% of my snags, just don't reef on it right away, and reverse direction of motor then back over the snag so the line roughly at a 45 degree angle, now first a couple of quick hooksets and if that does'nt free it go ahead and reef on it.

I think you'll be pleasntly suprised!!!

Good Luck,

FHK smile