• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What batteries should I get?

ozzie

Question

I need to replace 2 older batteries I have in my boat. One of the batteries is used for my trolling motor and the other battery is in the back and runs bilge, radio, lights, and a Lowrance 522.

I want to know what type of batteries I should get and what is a good dependable brand at a fair cost? Thanks

12 answers to this question

For the trolling motor you definitely want a "Deep Cycle" battery. The higher the AH rating the better as long as it fits in the area you will store it.

Does the other one also have to start your outboard or just run the components you mentioned?

If only the components you mentioned then again a "Deep Cycle" would be best. If it has to also start your outboard then a "Dual Purpose" battery would be better. These employ some features of a deep cycle with some features of a starting battery in one package. You sacrifice a little for both but you should be fine. These will have a CCR rating along with a reserve capacity rating.

Hope that helps.

For the second batt that only does the electronics, I would suggest a smaller sized one, just for weight. Why carry around what you don't need?

I actually was using a batt from '97... yep, '97.... on my pontoon up until this year. It just needed to start a 25hp and run one locator.

Bob, I am replacing that one with a smaller sized starting batt from my Malibu (was on 6th year, so I just get them at 6 years needed or not.) It still has 12.8 volts sitting on the ground, so it should be good to go for that little motor. Do you see any issues I might have? Water is topped off and all is clean. I am trying to get weight down, as the pontoon is old with small logs. I guess I will find otu this weekend smile Thanks for any thoughts on it.

Good point about downsizing.

As far as starting your 25hp. I'm not sure what CCA is required to supply that starter. If I recall, I got buy using a 450CCA rated when I had mine but that was few years ago and I'm lucky to remember it if it was yesterday, you know.

I used to run my locator and trolling motor off the same battery....not anymore. The trolling motor takes all the juice, and shuts OFF the locator. I would probly suggest to run the locator on a small vex battery, and the rest on the deep cycle.

I would probly suggest to run the locator on a small vex battery, and the rest on the deep cycle.

I actually would NOT recommending running the locator off a small vex battery, or one of those small 8 amp-hour batteries. It will work, but only for about 4-6 hours before running down enough that the locator shuts off. That Lowrance 522c is a color unit and it uses more power than a B & W unit. I know this because I had the same problem with my 520c.

I guess that is always the trade-off isn't it....go lighter, BUT in the process, lose running time. Trolling motor eats power, so I won't put that on the same battery as my finder again. If the trolling motor is rarely used it might work, but as soon as you are fighting the wind with it .....finder shuts-off. I haven't got a color combo unit like that either. Probably gonna need two batts. Gives a little extra for emergencies also. Once my fuel pump went out, and the motor quit....took all the juice from all 3 of my batteries to power my trolling motor the 3 miles to the landing.

You can get a smaller, lighter battery for all your electronics and accessories. A group 24 battery is a fairly small battery, and look at the reserve capacity or the number of reserve minutes. A lower number should mean a lighter weight and cheaper battery because it doesn't have as much lead in it, which is all you need for your electronics and accessories. Places like NAPA, Batteries Plus, Walmart, etc. can be good places to find cheaper deep cycle batteries.

For your trolling motor I would go with a better battery, ie. a higher number of reserve minutes. I just put a couple new Interstate Batteries in my boat this spring for my trolling motor.

Make sure u have a switch to turn off the gps antennae. If not it will stay on when it has power to it. If u are running a higher thrust 12 volt trolling motor (over 40 lbs thrust then I would suggest a large 31 size battery just for that. Make sure u have an onboard charger for long battery life.

Hey Perch, are the Interstates a mix - lead/calcium on the one side and lead/antimony on the other? Does that make them a little more maintenance friendly? What can a guy expect to pay for 27's, and who carries them? I think they make two versions, an SRM-27 and an SRM-27B and I was wondering the difference - other than the B has 180 vs 160 RCA. Thanks