• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkey Hunting in the Rain

MplsFisher

I've only been turkey hunting twice in my life and I've never done it in the rain. Our season starts Saturday and I can only go Saturday and Sunday. Of course, it's supposed to rain both days. Any advice for hunting in the rain? Do the turkeys stay in their roost? Will they respond to calls?

Thanks!

MplsFisher (and sometimes hunter)

Although the rain might make it a little more uncomfortable for you, I have never found it to diminish turkey activity. They may not be as vocal as on a sunny clear morning but they should still gobble. In fact in the rain, I have noticed turkeys to be more visible, spending more time in open pastures and alfalfa fields. This is where scouting becomes more crucial as if you know some of their patterns, routines or fields they like to frequent, I would set a pop up blind and then wait them out, especially if they arent talking. Keep in mind too, some calls can become almost impossible to use when they are wet, so do your best to keep your calls dry if they aren't diaphram calls.

If I were hutning this weekend, the rain wouldn't make me upset at all.

In the public land I'm going this weekend, most of the open fields are close to dirt roads that get some vehicle traffic...I was originally thinking of heading up into the hills where we saw enough to keep it interesting last year. I also notices they traveled on the walking paths quite a bit last year. If I didn't want to set up on an open field close to a gravel road, would setting up right off the hiking trail be a decent option? I think that would at leat get them out of the wet woods while them make their way down the hillsides. I'd love to set up on an open field but I'm just afraid it's not secluded enough, but maybe I shouldn't worry about that.

Also doesn't have to be a big opening either. If there is a small opening sometimes less then a acre in the woods some place they might hang out there in the short grass. Good Luck!