• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Catfish "In-Sider" Review!

Shack

I have two questions for the group -

1.) Has anyone here ever tried 'Mud Poling' (p. 35 I think) where when anchored you drive a couple of big poles down into the bottom on either side of your boat to stop the boat from swinging around, and if so how did it work?

2.) Is anyone here using a shock leader (Casting article)? It's the first that I've heard of these.

Thanks LFC,

You don't think mudpoling would work because our bottoms are too rocky, or something else?

What is "PP?" Maybe a line type... Are you using braid above the leader?

When I read the article I found myself wondering if the added cushioning of the shock leader would offset the risk of adding an additional weak point in the connection with an extra knot.

Does anybody else here use a shock leader and if so what are your thoughts on this trade off?

I have done mud poling with Steve Brown from Catfish Safari on Lake of the Ozarks. In the shallow slow currents it was a great way to keep the boat perfectly in place. I was trying to think of places I would use it but realized for the little amount of really shallow water I fish it is just easier to use an anchor.

Mudpoleing. If your in a back water maybe. Otherwise the current would make it difficult, coupled with carrying around long poles.

PP= power pro, its a braided line. I use stiff rods so I like having a mono leader with a tiny bit of give. As with any rig set up you need to watch your rigs and tie quality knots.

The break offs I've had.... which are few enough that I'm having difficulty recalling.

It really boils down to what you have confidence in. Many guys do it many different ways and we could argue which is best till the cows come home...bottom line is you need to find out what works for you. There will be a learning curve and if you keep an open mind you will end up trying a number of different things.

LFC,

I hear of some people using heavy mainlines with lighter leaders, others using heavy leaders with lighter mainline (Which is what the CI article seems to suggest). The available information is sometimes contradictory which is why I float these questions. I've never met any of you river rats but I have a lot of respect for you... Enough to be curious to know about how you do things.

I think you're right on in saying that we all need to find our own 'path.' Speaking for myself, I like to use resources like the CI and these forums as tools to look down as many other 'paths' as possible and see where other guys have gone. That's why I am equally interested in stories of failure as I am of success. From there I decide where to go.

LFC thanks for the look-see into how you rig! grin

Surreal.... I use 40-50lb mono for the abrasive resistance and the little bit of shock absorption it gives in a 6-12 inch leader which could be argued as little or none.

Nothing wrong with shortening your learning curve using the net.... I wish there had been the amount of information out here when I started doing this.

One thing I've seen is lots of guys get so caught up in what others do and say that they frustrate themselves when the results are less than they expected.

I say keep and open mind and find what works for you. I have some (or used to be)pretty unorthodox approaches for this type of fishing. And its allowed me to be what I consider satisfied and successful.

I guess what I'm trying to say..... is book learning is good but it will not get you the fish or even close to it. You need to get out and tweak and tune till it works.... when you hit Flathead gold it will all be worth it.

I know a few guys right now on here that are going through this.... and if they hang in there they will see a payoff.