• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

black powder

Gordie

anyone out there use an smokepole for taking turkeys?

what kind of gun do you have? thinking of buying a blackpowder shotgun this summer and just wondering what others may have.

What your load? shot size? and any other tips on it. I blackpowder hunt for deer so the smokepole isnt new to me

I shot several with a Knight TK2000 a few years back. I sold it a couple of years ago because I pretty much hunt turkeys with a bow exclusively now, and it just wasn't getting used. I patterned it with several different loads and found the Red Hot 5 shot to be best. Mine still had percussion cap ignition, so I was limited to 100 grains of loose powder for a charge. I'm sure by now the newer ones can shoot 209's and pellets. It didn't have quite the range of a shotgun, but I killed birds out to 40 yards pretty easily. The gun really packs a whallop too shocked

Elwood , nw buck is right on they do pack a wallop.I have tk 2000 bought it when they first came out, last year i upgraded it with 209 kit sold by night now she really rocks ,i use no 6 shot mixed with no4 it will take 21/4 oz!also you have to use loose powder i use pryodex select at 120 grains. Also i put a simmons pro diamond scope on it ,it is quite the machine,Just keep youre powder dry which can be challenge in the spring ,also i havent been able to find any speed loaders that will hold 120 grains of powder so i load it at home with 120 and 2 1/4 oz of lead so i get the full bang for the buck!When you launch one its kinda fun waitin for the smoke to clear and a lot more fun to walk through it and pick up that prize!

trolloni thats probally the best part os the PB is waiting for the smoke to clear and I love the smell of burnt black owder in the morning.

would the speed loaders that you use for 150 grains of pellets work?

Like trolloni, I would load the gun at home, and then use film canisters in a zip lock bag to carry pre measured amounts of powder and shot. I'd stuff a cotton ball on top of the shot canister, otherwise it rattled and made quite a bit of noise when walking through the timber. There was nothing fast about the reloading process, but it was what worked for me to be able to reload in the field. I usually carried enough in my vest for 2 more shots, figuring if I hadn't killed something in 3 shots it was probably time to call it a day grin

The first bird I shot with mine was a nice tom who came in right off the roost, and it was no more than a few minutes after legal shooting light. My partner laughed after the shot because he said with the bit of darkness that remained, he watched fire shoot out the end of the barrel better than a foot grin