Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Pafish

Fresh shed vs old shed

Anybody have info on aging sheds? Generally I can tell if my sheds are fresh or seasoned. White pedical, very minimal bleaching, no chew marks etc. = fresh. I recently found an impressive shed with great color and only three small chew marks but the pedical was grey. Can this be fresh or from this season? Anybody have some experience to share?

I would say its either this years or last years. If it was in a shaded area, the color can stay decent for a year. If it was in a area where the sun hit it, it would be partially bleached no question.

Some of the antlers I found last wk in the field, were from this year and had been bleached to some degree whiter by the sun. but they had been exposed to all sunlight for a couple of months.

If you have pics, you should post them. It would be fun to look at it.

cj

I always look at the bottom of the base where the antler would connect to the skull. If it is clean with nothing growing on it (if it is old alot of the time it there will be a green moss/algae? on it) then there's a good shot it is this year.

the wax ring is the best indicator I would say. If there is no skin ring on the base, its probably not fresh. Post some pics, and ill give you my opinion on it. the pedicle is all i need to see. I find year old or even older sheds with no chews and white pedicles. ANyways, ur best bet is to post a couple pictures.

A real fresh shed would have the wax ring. If you just found it lately the wax ring could already be gone though. Ive noticed sheds that lay through the thaw get washed pretty clean by now. Tough to say without pictures, if the base is "stained" its probably a year old, but if its just "dirty", could be from this year. Best to just find the match so you have something to compare it to! smile

Bummer. Everything looks fresh but no wax ring (I compared to my other fresh ones from this season). He was certainly 4-6 years old when he dropped so if shed is a year old the deer would be in the 6-8 year range this hunting season. I can assume he is dead. This is big woods country. Crud.

Thank you for the tips.

jlm    0

I agree, all the fresh sheds I found this year have the "wax ring". Also, most year or older sheds tend to get a greenish hugh where the shed contacts the ground.

i know of a big woods deer plenty older than eight, so he may notbe dead. He was 10.5 this past hunting season, and he was seen all fall so... ya never know. wheres the pics at?!!!