• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye rods

fishon68

I will always say the Limit Creek Smoothie for walleye fishin. By far the best rod I have used for the money and I've switched from St. Croix to the limit creek brand. If you want two, I recommend going with the smoothing and an 8'3" rod. That way you can troll out of the same side of the boat and not get tangled up.

I have been to all the "big" stores and have yet to find a rapala rod, i would really like to check one out before i make a purchase, any idea's, also how are the Scheels rods compared to gander's rods? Thanks in advance

We have several of the Bass Pro Shops walleye rods and they seem to be a pretty good value. Especially when they were 30% off recently. I also had a $10 off coupon I used on one so it ended up at under $40. They have a lot of different models in a couple of different price ranges. Might be worth checking out.

JMHO

The Shimano Compres have an over the counter no questions asked lifetime warranty, that was a big selling point for me.

Thankfully they have that warranty as I snapped my 8' Heavy Compre fishing sturgeon on LOW/Rainy last weekend. First rod I've ever broke in my life fighting a fish. Not a confidence booster but I'll get it replaced and keep tossing muskie baits with it this summer.

Quote:
Shiamano also makes great quality rods. I love the compre series.

I have never used the newer Shiamano rods. I do not care much for there pencil thin handles. Now, I am looking at the Mr. Walleye 6’2” rod for jiging, it’s nice and Light and the handle fills the hand.

Quote:
How heavy of weight do you plan on using??. Price range???

Up to 3oz. $100 or less. I will most likely have to buy two so whoever I'm fishing with can join in. This is somthing new I want to add to my arsenal for July and August when the fish are 15-30’ deep.

This question is for the guys who have owned or used Limit Creek rods: what is it about these rods that you like so much? Curious because I had never heard about them until this thread and I am going to be looking for a multi purpose walleye spinning rod soon.

Steve

Well i picked up a Gander pro series w/im8 blank $60.00, seems like a nice rod, also they had the gander lady series which are perfect for the wife, they are im7 blanks, thay seem like a very nice rod, they were 30.00 markerd down to 20 and then half off, so $10 a rod, i bought 4 of them, they have a little pink on them but i am not afraid to try one my self, again thanks for all the great info.

This question is for the guys who have owned or used Limit Creek rods: what is it about these rods that you like so much? Curious because I had never heard about them until this thread and I am going to be looking for a multi purpose walleye spinning rod soon.

Steve

IMO, the smoothie is a very sensitive rod. I can tell the bottom I'm on just by the feel in my hands. Others do this as well, but not for under a hundred bucks. They have a great backbone to them and you get a very good warrenty with them. I also like the larger guides on them, if you open water fish in the winter time they don't freeze up as fast or as much. Honestly there are going to be better rods out there to buy, but you are going to spend a minimum of twice as much for them as an LC rod. Another plus is that it's a local company that has a great owner.