• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye rods

fishon68

This past winter i purchased a st.croix rod, i believe they are graphite? but i sure did like the feel of these rods, now i am looking for something for summer walleye, i don't want to spend a ton but willing to pay a fair price, any suggestions on maybe off brands and how about a reel as well,have not used a baitcaster in years but maybe try again, all i used to do was backlash, are the new ones pretty good about that? Thanks

I would look into Fenwick's HMX series. They are pretty decent rods for price. They are about $80. I have a couple HMGs, but I really like my St Croixs. I have had a couple Premiers, but found that they are overpriced for the quality of rod. I quickly upgraded to Avids and Legend Tournament rods and absolutely love them. As for reels, I really like my Shimano Stradics. I also have a few Quantums and Diawas that are really nice as well. The big store in Rogers has Quantum Catalysts for $54 right now ($110 regularly) and Quantum Energy for $89 ($149 regularly). These are steals on these reels. What type of walleye fishing are you going to be using it for the most?

For walleye rods I think you should check out Limit Creek. They are definately not an off-brand, they are excellent rods at a more than fair price.

As for reels, there's a lot of options. I don't think you can go wrong with Shimano or Pflueger, and they have reels across all the price ranges.

Baitcasters don't have a ton of applications in walleye fishing, but I do use them at times for casting cranks or live bait rigging, and I use them all the time for trolling (usually line counter reels). To get a good baitcast reel is definately more expensive than a good spinning reel ---- but if you're trying to throw light baits they'll still backlash on you.

Gander Guide series rods are your best value and are very good rods ($20-$70). They are not going to be as light or quite as nice as a Fenwick, GL, or St. Croix. I have kids (i.e chance for a broken rod) and fish for multiple species which require multiple rods. If I were only going to have one rod it would be from one of the aforementioned companies.

I really like my Diawa XiA reel (around $50).

Steve

When talking rods, you must also take into consideration warranty. I use only St Croix and the lowest I will go on the St Croix totem pole is the Avid. Starting with the Avid and going up you get a lifetime warranty. Nothing worse than buying a $70 rod only to have it break opening weekend and no warranty.

I would suggest AVS68MXF for your first summer walleye rod. At $170 you get the lifetime warranty and this rod will work both live bait rigging and jigging. After that you can start to fine tune your selection. My personal fav rigging rod is the 76MLXF this rod gives a very soft tip for those light bites and 7'6" or length for a nice sweeping hook set with plenty of backbone to wear out those hogs. For jigging I prefer the 63MLXF.

I have all sorts of rods and reels from Gander Rods to Loomis.

I recently picked up a Rapala XLT rod on clearance at Gander. When I picked it up I was impressed at how light it was then I liked the action. I looked at the name and price and couldnt believe it was a rapala and on sale for $35. I have since used it several times and Im really impressed. I got the 6'6" med and the numbers are XLT66ms in the Rapala HSOforum. I think they run $80 usually. I really like the rod and at that price its a great buy. Their XLT70mls would be a good rigging rod and could double as a jigging rod.

As for a reel once you have found the rod you want go check out reels with the rod with you. Find reels you like in the price you like and then put them on the rod and see how they balance out. Get what you like the most. Tons of nice reels these days. I wont pay more than $80 for a spinning reel.

There are alot of good sales going on everywhere now. That's for sure.

I've seen those Rapala rods. Very nice for the price!!! It's always a plus when you can find a rod that can be used for multiple appliations like you mentioned.

You are right about reels. Alot of good choices for everyone's budget. You can definatly get a good reel for $75-$100.

Take Care. I'll be in touch

I picked up a Quantum Affinity series rod a couple years ago and liked it so much I went back and got another one. Great rods for the budget minded fisherman. I'd like to get my hands on one of those Limit Creek "Smoothies", but they are a bit out of my price range, plus I don't need any walleye rods at this time.

I love my Loomis rods but I have to agree with Northlander that Rapala has some rods that are incredible for the dollar. I have recommended them to several people that want a great priced rod. I have not tried their reels yet. I will stick with my Shimano's for now. I just got 3 Sienna's for my customer rods this summer. They are low priced and seem to hold up under regular use really great.

Fishon68, you didn't say what your price range is so its hard to recommend. Everyone will have their own opnion, but for me I would pass on the St Croix Triumph. The Avid is a very nice walleye rod (I own them), but I think you can find a better rod in that price range than the Triumph. In that Triumph price range you can probably get a much better rod with a Gander Guide series. Be sure to check out the Shimano line... the Compre might be a little more, but its a very nice rod. I've never tried the limit creek, but I hear good things. I think the limit creek might be more than you care to spend. Again, its hard to say without knowing your price range.

Also, what are you going to use it for? If its for rigging, get as good a rod as you can afford and make sure its at least 7 ft.

just my 2 pennies

I mainly bobber fish and plan on spending more time trolling this year, would like to spend 40-70 on a rod and about the same on a reel, the big store in rogers is sold out on the reels that were recommended earlier, so i guess i keep looking.

I must have missed something. Walleye rods? Bottom bouncing? Jiging? Cranking? Plainer boards? Flat line trolling?

I read this because I'm looking for a new rod for bottom bouncing and would like to know what's a good rod for this. Yes it will be a walleye rod.

The limit Creek LCC66MHF medium heavy duty is a great rod for trolling. More enough backbone for 3 ways and Bottom bouncing while still having great sensitivity. Great rod and it will not break the bank. I picked up one last year and love it.

I think it was mentioned already but the Rapalla rod is good its my second rod I go to(until I get another Limit Creek) after the Limit Creek . I got mine for under $40 and was way suprised by its performance. Going on the fourth year with it, their reels are prety good also.