• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spare strap for tree stand

Scoot

My dad cut down a tree stand that was on his land this past Fall/Winter (whoever put it on the small piece of woods didn't have permission to hunt there). The strap was frozen down on the tree, so it cut it on both sides. Nobody came to get it from him, so now it's my tree stand. Can I get a replacement strap for it somewhere?

How do they send a replacement strap? The one end of the strap is sewn together, so I'm curious how they set up a replacement strap? Is it just an open hook that one uses on the replacements?

Yes you can use a standard rachet strap but you have to be careful with the cheap ones I had one a few years ago that the metal ears on the rachet part bent when I was trying to get the stand a little tighter because it was still a little loose wich sent me flying to the ground and landing on my back. The good thing it was a stand I was setting for a kid so it was only 8-10' up but it still makes me think every time I use one for this.

I bet you were glad you weren't setting it in a tree over a rock pile?

Kind of like the time I was checking an old, little used, permanent & found out yep that board I just grabbed with both hands needs to be replaced! I was holding it when I hit the ground. Fortunately I didn't land on my bow, it was in season, & it was only the 3rd or 4th step.

If you call the company & explain the stand & the strap they'll be able to figure out what you need I'm sure.

I would get a ratchet strap, thats all i use on my portables. I cut the pull strap off and replace it with a ratchet if it doesnt already come with one, they are so much easier and you can get the stand alot tighter to the tree. Like archerysniper said though dont go and get the cheapest one get a good heavy duty one, its not worth saving a few bucks and take the risk of it breaking on you. I would get one with a snap on the end too so it doesnt always fall off your stand when you walking with it.

We use both. We use all Rivers Edge Stands for our bear hunters and we use the factory strap as a secondary back up and a GOOD rachet strap to secure the stand. It makes for a much more stable platform.

As for replacement for lability I will say "Get a factory replacement" but you can buy rachet straps that have bigger sown loops on each end. Basicaly take the strap apart and thread the hardware end thropugh the loop and it is just like factory.

I even found a mini ratchet strap that I use on my Summit climber to lock the top section solid when hanging onto old growth popple trees with that the hard slippery bark (black death I call it). Nothing worse then standing up and the top slips/falls onto the bottom, I'm guessing deer can hear the crash for a few miles. blush