Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Debbie K

Open Wide

20 posts in this topic

Debbie,

That is a nice pic. How close were you?

There are so many in our area, it's unbelievable.

Char

Fish - This is a crop of the original, otherwise 15'-20' away. Had I not had to move for a walker on the path, he would have walked within a foot of me in the open.

Look at that detail! Now I know why people think he should have been the national emblem. I didn't know they were red, white, and blue. Nice job.

I like the pose for sure and its sharp, but the back lighting on this keeps me from giving it a complete thumbs up. Fill flash on this would have greatly helped but you did say it was a fast shot. For where you were in relation to the sun I think you did good. JMHO since you asked for an opinion.

Dan - thanks for the advice. I still consider myself very new at this. Stupid question, wouldn't the flash scare off the turkey?? I just can't get my head wrapped around using flash - intimidates the [PoorWordUsage] out of me. I do have a flash attachment, but have never used it.

Dan - thanks for the advice. I still consider myself very new at this. Stupid question, wouldn't the flash scare off the turkey?? I just can't get my head wrapped around using flash - intimidates the [PoorWordUsage] out of me. I do have a flash attachment, but have never used it.

Don't worry about the flash, take it a step at a time. I mentioned it because when faced with back lighting like this it can be a good option. Concentrate on getting yourself in a good position to get your shots. As you might be finding out that is not always easy or practical. The direction and quality of light is what will guide you. Its all a learning process, you've done a good job with the shot, but imagine that same shot with the sun shining on his head. Now the portrait literally jumps out at you especially if you had a darker background. Photography, whether it is portrait, sports, wildlife, landscape it really doesn't matter is about shaping the light (with and without lights) and using what nature has to offer. That could be a cloudy overcast day or a beautiful morning or evening sun splashed scene. Really the technical part of photography is not that hard to learn, especially with the advent of digital files giving you instant feedback and the opportunity to make corrections on the fly and manufacturers making products that make learning easier.

Once you are completely comfortable with your camera and what it is capable of you begin to add the other elements into your work. Positioning yourself for a good shot, using artificial lights, watching your backgrounds, using the light to your advantage, etc. You will have more time to think about those things because the operation of the camera becomes second nature. It is not something you learn overnight. I think a lot of people buy a new camera and just expect that it will turn out perfect shots, just like many of the folks around here produce and share. But like most everything in life it takes a bit of time to get the most out of what you have, and many folks here have spent a considerable amount of time putting in the time to getting results they are happy with.

You are well on the way to doing that and obviously a site like this with many willing folks offering encouragement and advice shortens that learning curve. But only if you are open to that (you obviously are since you asked). This site is more about sharing photos no matter the skill level, but there are a lot of talented photographers here that will offer advice if you desire. Keep up the great work!!!

Dan - Thank you so much for the info. Sometimes it takes me a while to "get it". I understand that good lighting and position is important. But sometimes when something out of the blue comes across, you have to take what you can get. In this case, we came across the turkeys on a an open path and no way to get into a better postion without spooking the birds. But, I know where they're at and can go back often and continue "practicing".

Very sharp shot and lots of great color. I think he needs to see a dentist grin

Since you know where they are at, consider where the light is coming from, would a morning or evening be better from where this shot was taken? Then go back when you think the light might be to your advantage. smile Just might give you your next best shot!

I'll have to think about that. Typically, the only time I can get there is after work.

I'll have to think about that. Typically, the only time I can get there is after work.

Cool, you are well on your way to the next shot! Don't forget about weekends or off days from work as well. Of course the weather doesn't always align with our schedules, but that is usually the first thing I consider when thinking about a location I'm going to shoot at! But that is what makes this such a continuing quest! smilesmile

I think Dan really highlighted the only issue I see with this lovely portrait. Also, I really enjoy seeing a catchlight in a bird's eye (in most situations), it brings the subject to life, and some fill flash would have provided that here as well smile

I think the calling pose is topps.