Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chode2235

Happy Earth Day everyone!

40 posts in this topic

Thought I would give a shout out to mother earth.

Thank you for your beauty and bounty. May we work hard in protecting and appreciating all the things about you we cherish and take for granted.

Happy Earth Day everyone.

3466318591_3817d3ddbf.jpg

To quote one of the great philosophers,

"The Earth is not your mother."

+1

Quote:
Happy Earth Day everyone.

And, according to some - happy birthday to Vladimir Lenin.....

I guess I better put out my tire fire in the backyard. Did anyone tell China, India, Mexico, Russia and other major polluters to the earth that it's mother earth day. For gods sake folks get back to the Kool-aid.

Earth Day? How about Earth Everyday? Mother Earth can heal herself given the chance and some time, but she ain't getting much of a chance these days.

Oh and by the way, nice mockery gentlemen. Soon as I saw the title of the thread, I knew where it would lead to, as predictable as the sun coming up.

All I can do is wish the kids some good luck, 'cause they're going to need it in the future.

Now back to your regularly scheduled mockery.......

In the words of Denis Leary.

"I didn't break it, it was that way when I got here".

But in seriousness, do you part everyday, not just on "earth day". Recycle what you can and don't polute.

Earth Day is a little different for me this year. Normally we have our Cylinder Festival.

That is the day I pull all of the summer small engines out of storage, and fire 'em up to burn off the fogging oil and make sure we are set for the lawn work and brush and tree cutting to come. The fragrant clouds of blue smoke soon permeate the neighborhood, and the whine of the 2 cycle engines provides a symphony that brings a tear to my eye every time.

This year, I had to get started a week early, since we had some trees that needed to come down so they wouldn't shade out the chemically enhanced lawn any more. A couple of others just didn't look good anymore, so down they came too. The kids now have an ample supply of firewood for the Fire Pit next year, and have already started putting a dent in this year's supply.

We did have the annual Earth Day Barbecue though. I fired up the Weber kettle, tossed on some mesquite chips, and grilled up a nice rare sirloin roast. There's one less cow spewing methane into the atmosphere!

Quote:
There's one less cow spewing methane into the atmosphere!

I did my part, too - drank some Coke, and tried not to burp or fart...

To be honest, I too was on the chainsaw brigade yesterday. laugh

Then I went in and watched some green shows and the thing I learned from them is that I'm not going to eat fish farm salmon ever again. That and Jacques Cousteau’s kid looks old, and it makes me feel old. wink

There is nothing like the smell of 2 cycle in the morning.

Quote:
Then I went in and watched some green shows and the thing I learned from them is that I'm not going to eat fish farm salmon ever again.

I watched that show too - never did like the taste of that farm-raised salmon anyway... I think the gist of the show was "save the whales", but the part that caught my attention was the part about the salmon...

Quote:
I watched that show too - never did like the taste of that farm-raised salmon anyway... I think the gist of the show was "save the whales", but the part that caught my attention was the part about the salmon...

The Killer Whale stuff was good, they're interesting and intelligent creatures, but I recognize the certain slant that those kinds of shows portray. Of course they'll tug on the heart strings if possible, and they sure did with the whales.

But the salmon thing was interesting as well as was when the folks went in for PCB and the other chemicals testing. Here is a vegetarian mother and her little vegetarian boy, the type of diet and household where you would think the results would be low. Especially when the mother is part of the Cousteau team and has a good understanding of the natural environment out there.

When the Dr. pulled out the report about kids having higher rates, before they showed the boys test result, I muttered "uh oh". Sure enough, his numbers were sky high. That despite her mother doing what she thought was best to keep her son from being exposed to those toxic chemicals. Just goes to show that there are a lot of things out of our control

Quote:
Here is a vegetarian mother and her little vegetarian boy, the type of diet and household where you would think the results would be low. Especially when the mother is part of the Cousteau team and has a good understanding of the natural environment out there.

Maybe those soybeans aren't all what they're cracked up to be??

What got my attention was the sea lice attached to the wild salmon spawn - apparently they pick them up when they swim by the salmon farming pens and the mortality rate is something like 60% after they get the lice on them...so one of the consequences of farm-raising salmon is killing wild salmon in the process.

The other thing was when they interviewed the old fisherman - he said it takes 2.2 pounds of wild fish to raise 1 pound of farm salmon.. Doesn't sound too productive to me..

I'll do my part tomorrow. Dropping 21 6'-12' trees in the ground. Lets hope that makes up for the lot we cleared today.

Of course no one wants more pollution, littering, etc. but the cynical responses to the Earth Day message is the result of the constant barrage of "green preaching" we are all subjected to.

You can't listen to public radio, or the major network news for 30 minutes without another report on global warming, 50 tips on eating green, recucing your carbon footprint, or how much carbon a million weed-eaters, or herd of sheep expel, or on and on and Blah...blah... blah.

If I hear one more comercial trying to sell me a product because this or that company is going "green" I am going to puke. The sad part is not that they are using this tactic, it is that since they are all doing it, it must be working. People are actually buying this load of ca..rap!

I guess that means the junk mail won't be stopping soon.

Quote:
I guess that means the junk mail won't be stopping soon.

Speaking of junk mail, a few months ago I started getting a large, glossy newsletter in the mail - "Recycling News", or something to that effect... Where does it go? Straight from the mailbox to the trash can. I have no idea where it comes from or who prints it (I plan to take the time to find out one of these days, though). I didn't ask for it or subscribe to it - just started showing up in my mailbox.. Maybe more tax dollars at work??

Oh Oh I killed a bunch of ants on Earth Day. Is that OK or should I have waited 1 more day.

G.C.

like the mayor was saying yesterday the earth has survived to be 4 billion years old and we think our civilization can effect its outcome and sure demise with what we have done to it with the internal combustable engine in the last 100 years?? talk about a cult religion.

To quote one of the great philosophers,

"The Earth is not your mother."

a fellow GLer........+1

like the mayor was saying yesterday the earth has survived to be 4 billion years old and we think our civilization can effect its outcome and sure demise with what we have done to it with the internal combustable engine in the last 100 years?? talk about a cult religion.

You're right in that we are not harming the earth one bit, however, we are harming the atmosphere needed to sustain life. wink