• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outlook new mail icon

beer batter

Question

Any outlook guru's here? I realize this is a petty problem, but it's a slow time of year...

I've got a bunch of rules created in my outlook tools bar such when email arrives with certain words in the title, or from a certain sender address, those emails get automatically moved from my inbox to other folders I've created to hold these specific emails. When they're moved, I specified the tag these emails as previously read so that the email box isn't BOLD. This all works great.

It limits my inbox mail to stuff I really need to see, problem is that my new mail icon that shows up on the bottom of the screen doesn't clear when those new mail messages arrive and get moved to other folders. If I open up any existing piece of mail from my inbox, that icon will clear but I'm hoping there's a way to clear it automatically if there's no unread mail.

Any ideas how to clear that new mail icon where there isn't any new mail in my inbox?

6 answers to this question

Try a search for a product called "AutoRead". Its an Outlook plugin that should do what you are looking for. I don't think Outlook is capable of doing what you want with out a plugin like that. I'm not an Outlook guru but this I believe is a good solution.

I don't have my PC from work with outlook on it to test this but you should be able to add an action "mark as read" to the rule that moves the email.

If no can add anything to this I will look a little deeper at work tomorrow to test it and post the details.

OK just did a little more looking at this on the web and found that not all version of Outlook have the mark as read action available for rules. But with some digging I found that you can download a rule to import it to your PC. And of course the link wouldn't be allowed here.