• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How far would you drive for a boat? - Updated

MuskieJunkie

Some people think nothing of driving hundreds of miles for the right item/deal. Probably being from Canada, there are less quality boats for sale up there and he is most likely going to fill his car with stuff from Walmart, etc before heading back across the border.

As long as his payment is legit I wouldn't be concerned.

Steve

Probably all legit since most people are honest. I would make sure check clears before giving up the boat or have him pay in cash. Make sure he knows this up front.

Its easier to drive to Minneapolis to pick up a boat than to Thunder Bay or anything else east of Lake of the Woods. Also with paying duty on the purchase its most likely still cheaper than up here. We don't get great deals on used boats much, and I spend most of my time looking at used boats from the cities rather than in Canada. I can be in the cities in under 6 hours so its not a huge deal to run down there and back for a boat, as long as I am saving more than the cost of taxes, gas and most likely a hotel room. Also remember is cheaper in gas to drive that 6 hours than it is for the 4 hours to Winnipeg.

MuskieJunkie, I have a friend who was trying to sell his Tracker Tundra21 Team Walleye Edition last year and he had numerous responses from Canada. He had at least a half dozen calls from Canada alone and they all said they would drive down and take a look at his boat. If I remember correctly, I think they all fell through. I don't know the reasons for it or if it was some type of scam, but I wouldn't count on it until they are in your driveway.

I was going to buy a boat recently in Michigan, but the guy sold it before he got me pictures.

I bought my last truck in NH and drove it back to MN non-stop. I will go anywhere for the right deal.

I have also sold a snowmobile engine to a guy in Sweden!

When I was looking for a center console boat, I watched several internet used boat sites for months looking for what I wanted. I very nearly drove to NC or Virgina to buy one new from a dealer ... but luckily ended up finding one I love in the cities.

I drove to Arkansas. My wife thought I was crazy, especialy since I dragged her along.

Actually it was a nice drive to see a part of the country that I hadn't seen before. Besides in a week moment, I clicked the mouse and won the auction eek Since I'm a man of my word, I had no choice.

Just dont take a check.

That's good advice. My only problem with this would be if it wasn't cash / money transferred right to my account/ certified check and bank called on it, I'd be a bit leary. I've heard stories of people driving long distances, and making false payments of some sort, and never to be seen / heard of again.

I seriously wouldn't have a problem driving 750-1,000 miles one way for the "right" boat. Gotta be the right boat though at the right price. I'm picky... I'll drive for the right boat if need be.

I'm in the industry and I can tell you that a good share of our customers come from Canada. Last year we sold over 60 boats to our nothern neighbor (partially because of the exchange rate.) The exchange isn't so good right now but we are still selling some boats to wholesalers because the used boat selection up there is fairly limited. I wouldn't be scared of selling my boat to a Canadian customer as long as you can verify payment.

I was looking on another used boat site that was selling the exact boat I was looking for, except it was in California, but it needed to go and was about $5000 cheaper than around here. I was making arrangements to fly out there, buy it, and drive it back, when the guy told me it had just sold. Even with a flight and rental vehicle, it would have saved me a bundle and would have been well worth it.

I drove to Missouri and saved around 7K on my boat, it was worth every minute of the drive. I still see used boats like mine that sell for more than what i got mine for new - 2 years later. It pays to comb through the internet......