• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV As A Drinking Vehicle

Markley

Yes I would. If it's an illegal activity there would be an issue. Not sure if anyone remembers the fatality last year that involved alcohol and a golf cart. Maybe it was the year before.

The problem I have with someone riding off trail or on roads where it's not permitted, is ATVs have been under such intense scrutiny by both the media and the non-riding group. How long before people start to wake up?

Snowmobilers almost lost their battle in the 70's. Now the ATVs are going through the same issues.

To answer an earlier question, I don't believe kids should be allowed to ride within the ROW at any time regardless of experience or maturity level unless it's within the states guidleines.

LEP, yes kids should be able to ride within the state guidlines just like adults have to follow state guidlines. People are always going to be critical of atv and snowmobiles. Some people just like to complain. Usually the people who complain are ones that don't like to see others have fun. People think the land should only be used for wildlife and bird watching, B.S. I am a huge wildlife lover and respect the land to the max, but it should be available to everyone. If people want to complain, ignore them. Follow the law and obey the rules and you have nothing to worry about.

If people want to be dangerous and careless, hey, as long as they are not hurting myself, my family or other innocent people then that's the choice they are making, none of my buisiness what other people do.

People should worry about all the crazy people carrying guns around illegally and people stealing, doing drugs..not people who might be riding an atv on a wrong road. My point, there is much more to worry about in life then someone on an atv!

I don't have problems with ATV's. It is the people that are retarded and ruin it for everyone else. Why is their so many restrictions on ATV's? Probably, because somebody is a moron and can't think this might actually hurt someone or THEMSELVES.

CrappieBart,

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. There is no kid on this planet IMO that has enough experience to make them a safe operator. It's part of growing up. We learn from experience. None of us hopped on a bike without training wheels and took off like we've been doing it for years.

One thing I will add is, kids who grow up on farms usually tend to have more exposure and a better understanding how machines work. They have to. You mess with the wrong piece of equipment, it will kill you. But with that, I should add that farm-permits DO NOT allow a kid/child to operate the ATV within the ROW. This has come up many times before in past courses and the answer has always been the same from all of the CO's I've worked with. All have even said this has come up at their state level meetings and the answer has always been a resounding "NO".

Now, whether this is right or wrong, it's not for me to say. I have my belief of what I think should be permitted or not and don't agree with many of the regulations currently in place.

We ran into something similar up at the cabin. We have some folks up there that like to tear around on their machines. There's usually drinking involved (by the adults, not the kids), but they fly up and down the gravel road at very high speeds, do donuts etc. They have a couple 800cc machines and we regularly see the 10-12 year olds running up and down the road on them at 30, 40, 50 mph, no helmets, jumping in the ditches etc.

We've sat around the fire and shot the bull with them a couple times and I have mentioned the laws, safety issues etc., but it has not stopped the activity from occurring.

I could've let it go and not said anything, but I don't know if I could live with myself. I feel as though I've done my part, but will still feel horrible when something happens (I feel strongly that if you participate in bad behavior long enough something negative will happen eventually).

Sorry to say, but sometimes it takes an accident for some people to look at their actions and correct their behavior.

One thing that we've all left out is geography and how it plays a role in how we interpret what is/should be acceptable.

I live in south central MN in a fairly populated area. There's a good number of LEOs to enforce traffic laws and it directly impacts what people will do, legal or not.

Now if we take northern MN into consideration, it's not as populated, larger counties/more area for the current LEOs to cover and some of the petty things/infractions may be left for another day.

There's no doubt in my mind that people are allowed to do more on ATVs in northern MN than the southern half of the state.

Well Markley I hate to say it but your story keeps on getting bigger all the time and your getting indignant with folks that believe in living and letting let live . I think your last insinuation says they are running up and down the road at all hours of night with a 3 yr child in arms or at least inferring the like .

I don't condone much of the behaviour your claiming is going on either but I also think maybe your spending too much time watching your neighbours .I'm thinking maybe your new to that neighbourhood and now want to become the sherriff over night .

We find this goes on alot when city sherriffs move into our quaint little country towns where although we look out for each other, we try not to get into making our neighbours into criminals by spying on their every move and then venting about it on internet forums to garner support or righteous indignation .

How do you even know they are drunk ? You just suspect it ,right .? One thing we do know you won't be asked to any neighbourhood parties . LOL grin

TD

Actually, I have live in this house for 8 years. I have seen a lot from that household and a lot of neighbors are sick of it but to scared to get involved. Just another thing that should not be tolerated at all and showing a bad example to everyone. It is only going to get worse with the warmer weather and needs to stop before some gets injured. I'm not worried about neighborhood parties, most are on my side.