• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV As A Drinking Vehicle

Markley

I live in a town that ATV's are illegal (maybe they all are not sure). My neighbor and his wife thinks they can drive around and use it to go to friends houses and drink. Sometimes he is holding an open can of beer on the trips, holding his 3 yr old and his beer can or just the kid (No helmets). This last weekend the 14 yr old is delivering case of beer on a ATV (no helmet involved either). I have called the sherriff but it is to late, he is already at his friends. Somebody is going to get hurt either them or hopefully not a pedestrian when he is drunk. I finally got the city to send them a letter after a second phone call. I want an atv but for the purpose of an atv, but this family is giving ATVers a bad name. Am i right or mind my own business?

If riding in town is illegal, then it's illegal. I don't have a problem driving an atv with a case of beer on the back. As long as your not drunk when your driving it. [NOTE FROM AMDMIN: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]. It all depends on the situation, if you feel the police need to be involved, then they probably should. I just feel sometimes people get jealous of others having fun. My

2cents

Bart

If you are legal age and strap it on your atv to wherever fine. But a 14 underage kid with no helmet is not something that should be tolerated. I'm not the only one in the neighborhood with issues, but they are to scared of this guy.

The city called the DNR and the DNR said they will take care of it. I didn't really want to waste the time of the DNR even though it is a division of the DNR. The city gave me the number to call and talk to him. We will see.......

Why can a person legally drive a boat and have a beer in hand. You realize many states allow you to drive a car with a beer in hand! As long as you are responsible and not drunk what's wrong with having 1 or 2 beers while on an ATV. If you are intoxicated, then you are crossing the line and should be disciplined.

From the DNR regs: "It is unlawful for a person to drink or consume alcoholic beverages when

an OHV is operated on a roadway, or shoulder of a roadway, that is not a

part of a designated trail for that vehicle type."

Lep, you are wrong. You can legally drink on an ATV as long as you're not on a road or certain trails and as long as your not over the legal limit of .08 BAC.

None the less, its a bad idea, especially with a child involved.

And a prior comment stated about riding down the road on an ATV with a beer in hand. My apologies for not clarifying that.

Am I wrong...or does a 14 year old with a case of beer on the back of an ATV with out an adult present constitute possession of alcohol by a minor??

That was my point.

With the 14-year old driving with the beer he was in violation for all of the following.

1. Possession of a controlled substance by a minor

2. Operating an ATV without a helmet

3. Operating an ATV off his own property

Why can't a 14 year old drive off thier own property as long as they have thier ATV permit. I had a farmers license at 14, driving trucks down the road. Boy, how times change, a person cant' take a dump anymore unless they have a permit or someone will complain.

IMO, too many laws and too many restrictions. Let people live and if they are putting someone in danger then stop them. But if it's not bother you or your property or threating you or anyone else, then whats wrong??

It's not a problem with her driving down the road. (Well, besides it's against city laws).. the problem is, it's at night, no helmet and she's carrying a case of beer to her parents and their friends. THAT'S the problem. The other problem is they run their ATV's down city streets, at all hours of the night, with beer and 3 year old in hand at times. That's not only endangering themselves, but their child and possibly people. I don't think it's having "fun" when the actions are irresponsible and endangering others...

It's not a problem with her driving down the road. (Well, besides it's against city laws).. the problem is, it's at night, no helmet and she's carrying a case of beer to her parents and their friends. THAT'S the problem. The other problem is they run their ATV's down city streets, at all hours of the night, with beer and 3 year old in hand at times. That's not only endangering themselves, but their child and possibly people. I don't think it's having "fun" when the actions are irresponsible and endangering others...

Markley,

Great post. If only everyone shared the same sentiments as you. Thank You!!!

CrappieBart,

to answer your question about kids riding off their own property, the statistics speak for themselves. The majority of accidents that involve serious injury or death occur within the roadway and involve kids between the age of 12-15.

Now let's put a youth on this ATV. Maybe they fit the machine/maybe they don't. Either way, we now have a situation of someone with reduced awareness of their surroundings, less experience in most cases, more than likely not capable of handling the machine they're riding and more than likely riding in an area they may not be familiar with or realize what could be laying in the grass. Now lets hypothetically roll that ATV over ontop of this youth. Will they have the strength to lift the machine off themsleves? Probably not. Hence the reason they should always be supervised.

I'm only trying to create an example of why kids are limited to where they can ride.

I am taking the summer off from ATV training, otherwise I would invite you to a class. I've had more parents than you can imagine ask me the same questions as you. By the time they walk away from the course, they have a new respect for the machines. I've even had x-rays of a friend who was involved in an ATV accident that I used as an example. There were 2 fathers, not mothers, who walked outside because they were about to lose their lunch after seeing the 2 dozen screws with plates and rods holding this person back together.

LEP, I agree with you 100%. NO kids should be riding if they are not properly trained and monitered and that goes for some adults as well. But if a kid is trained and on a proper machine for thier size, the kid is reliable, I see no reason why they cannot ride where everyone else rides, do you agree? Yes, kids need an extra "watchdog" but many kids out there are great riders and I think it's great they are outdoors doing something other then inside playing video games and getting fat. Lets not penalize all kids for the few kids and adults who ruin it for everyone.

Around me - you drink when you aren't supposed to - take too many fish - poach wildlife - or engage in illegal acts - I WILL report you.

If you can't have fun legally - time to move somewhere else.

It's all our business to help protect life and the outdoors.

Sorry but besides the drinking I think you should mind your own business. Glad I don't have neighbors that I have to worry about calling the cops on me because I got out of my car without wearing my seat belt, riding a motor cycle without eye protection, having my life vest in storage. I don't need some law to keep me safe. Not that I agree with some of the things in the original post but besides drinking and driving (if over the legal limit) the laws that are being broke are B as in B S as in S. A question I have is if there weren't laws preventing a 14yr old from riding a 4 wheeler or riding on the street would you still be upset? I know I wouldn't. But if there were no laws against stealing and i saw someone stealing from someone I would still speak up and call the cops for that. Just like if i saw someone with a hundred crappies and there was no limit. It would tick me off and i would say something to that person. I honestly think some people just have too much time on their hands and just like to complain. Sorry if that offends anyone I apologize.

bottom line regardless of who is doing what. Our sport has enough negative news stories as there is. If I can prevent somebody else for ruining a good image the rest of us try to portray riding our ATV's I will.

They have already cracked down on us enough, no reason to give them any more reasons to put even tighter restrictions on us. Atv's belong on a trail or a track, and not the road period (unless you live in state like SD where you can license them)

I cant think of one practical reason to even involve drinking while on an ATV.