• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No More Warranty Gander Guide Series

matthothand

I have never had a problem bringing back a gander rod! I just returned one about 2 weeks ago and there were no questions asked. I did however buy a extended warranty on 6 trolling rods I got about 3 months ago. I think it was like $3 a piece or something. Well worth it to me.

I really like their telescoping board rods. Best bang for the buck for sure.

I've only returned two rods, one to Gander and one to Cabellas. I've broken many more by stepping on them, cramming them into my truck bed, or by other stupidities done by me. I won't take those back to the store for a free replacement. Call me dumb for not taking advantage of the generous return policy, but I think people should only be returning rods when they have a manufacturing defect.

Call it shopping with a conscience.

I would not call you dumb, in fact I'll offer some praise. It's nice to see some personal responsibility these days, this society we live in sure lacks it. Thanks for having a conscience.

We all know that the higher graphite rods are more brittle... I have several wrapped 85 million modulous rods. I snapped about 4 inches off the end of one on my maiden voyage with it. It was a $200 rod marked down to $120. It was my fault, as I was jabbing the rod down in some grass/brush trying to unhook a snag.

I now have a 6'8" rod, not a 7' rod. It was my fault, not a defect. I will live with it. (and I sleep very well)

I broke two gander rods on one trip the season before last and have them sitting in the garage. I accidentally stepped on them and broke both at the same time.

I debated bringing them in for replacements but can't see myself to asking them to replace product that I ruined. That being said, I have talked to others who say I am stupid for not bringing them in because their policy is to replace "no questions asked". They compared it to sitting on expensive sunglasses that have the same policy.

TMF ~ Being that you're employed by Gander, I'd like to know your interpretation of the policy and the right thing to do.

These places have to recoup the money somehow, and that somehow is steeper prices. So we're all paying for others lack of responsibility and boneheaded actions. This bonehead has busted plenty of rods, and half of the time the first thought in my mind was "That was a dumb thing to do". So I deal with shorter rods, toss them out or as I did with one rod----make it into an ice rod.

Believe me, there are plenty of folks who take advantage of these deals, snap the rods in two over their knees every couple of years just to get new rods. Not the best way to stimulate the economy in my mind.

I bought a ultra light combo for $20 2 years ago, busted the tip off the rod state for over a year, i finally was gonna toss the rod after i broke it in 3 pieces but heard you guys say they have a sweet warranty just bring it in and they will replace it. I went in on friday showed them the mess and gave me a $30 rod to replace it. no reciept or anything and i got an upgrad on the rod i couldnt believe it. Sad to see it go if its true

IMO that is an abuse of the warrantee. And drives up the cost for everyone else.

NTW (Sorry if I forgot your exact username) we WOULD (or at least should, working in retail you realize that nothing's ever 100%) return it no questions asked, besides if it was defective, you were unsatisfied with the product, needed a different size, or some fourth option I forget. However since obviously it's broken, I doubt you'd even get that asked and they'd just call it defective. I also believe that a good portion, if not all, defectives that we get are shipped back to the manufacturer, and we get re-imbursed. I THINK that's what happens though, and stll the morality of the issue is something I won't get into, because honestly I myself would be tempted, especially depending on the circumstances of the break.

Thanks for all the praise guys, that's what makes it worth it, that, and getting paid to [PoorWordUsage] about fishing for 8 hours a day!

Oh and if you guys ever see a guy with a beard and named Eric, I'd appreciate the praise you've directed towards me got to him as well, seeing as how he's my manager, lol!

One thing I'd like to interject about high quality graphite, it IS much more likely to break (keep in mind that out of dozens of rods I've used, only a few have broken, so much more likely to break might mean 10/100 do, instead of 2/100 (I made those numbers up, lol) with a lower end graphite rod) than a lower quality rod. However the sensitivity, weight, feel, and overall performance of the rod is greatly improved, so that's your trade off. For this reason I'm afraid to even show customers G Loomis rods, I feel like if I bend them at all they're going to snap! (obviously they're great rods, that's just a personal issue lol). Finally, the type of snap you'll see differs based on the graphite. Whereas low end graphite will just snap in two, high end stuff is going to splinter, or shatter.

I agree Blackdog. I have about $1000 worth of broken rods sitting in my spare bedroom right now (2 Fenwick Techna AV's, 2 St. Croix Avids, and a custom St. Croix Legend Tournament I built), all of them MY fault. Each one of them has a Lifetime warranty and it is possible for me to return 4 of them to the manufacturer(one of the Avids got crushed near the handle and is very noticable, I know they will deny it). Why is it the manufacturers problem I mishandled my rods? I hate reading/hearing about people braging that they returned a rod because they mishandled it. Why?? Because me and the other honest consumers are having to pay for it!

TMF, I used to work at GM head quarters and I hear what you are saying. A lot of the stuff that you have to deal with is completely out of your control. In fact it is a combination of a bunch of decisions that lead to trouble on the sales floor. In fact, in this economy most of the decisions are made to try to keep these major companies afloat (i.e. Sportsman's Warehouse). Keep doing the right things and you will do just fine. BTW, I sent this thread up the ladder at GM, so they do know how upset people would be if they took away the warrenty or at least made people pay for it.

Why is it the manufacturers problem I mishandled my rods? I hate reading/hearing about people braging that they returned a rod because they mishandled it. Why?? Because me and the other honest consumers are having to pay for it!

Both G Loomis and St. Croix offer folks who broke their rods replacements for $50, no questions asked. St. Croix also has an upgrade program for broken and unbroken rods. Pretty good deal for loyal consumers, I don't see any issues with taking advantage of it.

TMF89, I go to your store because it's close to me and really appreciate that.

About the only bad issues I've experienced are 1) somebody dropped my spool while winding line on one of favorite reels and damaged it, and 2) a long wait at times.

The spool damage could have easily been avoided by having some rubber mats on the floor. The long wait is do to not scheduling enough people to work at a given time, or budget constraints.

I love shopping there. Lots of cool stuff and a very good selection. Some of the employees could be a little more versed in the outdoors, like the assistant manager I talked with about the spool issue last year. They must have got her for a very good price fresh out of college.

I know this economy has been hard on GM, but hang in there guys! We need you. Not enough Cabelas stores close by and they need the competition.

It would be interesting to hear what that "added cost" to what many are calling the honest individuals. Obviously, one cost is the rods that we have sitting in storage that are of no value. But I'd guess that the price increase to cover warranty is extremely low per rod sold. Besides, if the no questions asked warranty has been created to cover any and all reasons for return then there is nothing dishonest about returning a broken rod regardless of cause. I may be trying to talk myself into something here whistle

Like I said, mine are sitting in the garage. I'm just playing devil's advocate on this issue, and there is some validity to that.

The key to getting any rod replaced for warranty, that is capable of being warrantied in the store, is keep your receipt. Store brand or not, all retailers are getting very tight on the receipt in hand...or no returns.

Customer responsibility = Prof of purchase, reason for warranty or return.

Sellers responsibility = Quality assured, helpful and superior service for all, compliance to vendors warranty requirements.

All returns need to be documented as inventory, and the receipt needs to accompany it when sent in for any compensation or inventory adjustment, if it is not included the wrath of upper management comes down on the boots on the ground guys...trust me on that. Lost inventory needs to be accounted for and the boots on the ground sales staff must answer for it in the end.

So..as customers, respect the guys on the floor too, there job is on the line when you make requests they will get called to task on later.

If they can help...they sure will, if not, understand they need there jobs too...just like you.

If you need a clarification of official Gander policies on return you can call the 1-888-5GANDER service line or e-mail them. Or fill out a customer service care form at the GM web site. You can also contact cooperate by mail at this address.

Gander Base Camp Corporate Office

180 East Fifth St Suite 1300

St. Paul, MN 55101

Phone: 651-325-4300

One more thing guys, I noticed about the long wait times complaint. Please please PLEASE let any managers you see know this, or better yet, call the line Ed listed. Believe me, we realize that we don't have nearly enough people to keep the story running properly, and there's nothing more I hate than when I get called into work just to work the register for a couple hours while the CEO and board of directors tour the store, to make it SEEM like we're fully staffed! Obviously they won't realize the problem then. So you'd be doing yourselves and us employees a favor if you let them know you think the store is understaffed.

Also, if you do ever find any employee's service above the norm, don't hesitate to tell a manager, send the company an email, or again call that line. We actually get gift cards every time a customer compliments us. That's mainly directed towards those of you that ask me if I get commission when you buy a product, believe me that makes all the trouble worth it.

Went in today to have my Gander ultralight replaced or fixed tip, came off. They would not fix it or replace it said it was to old. Don'T blame them one bit.

I was told they wont replace older gander rods or even newer ones without the receipt.

That was my experience heads up keep your receipts and don't expect a replacement on older ones, not anyone should really expect a replacement on older ones.