• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No More Warranty Gander Guide Series

matthothand

I was in Gander Mt. yesterday looking to replace a standard/lower quality rod from their Guide Series and was amazed to hear that as soon as a week from now they will no longer warranty ANY of their rods. Has anyone else heard this?

It would be hard to believe they would do away with the warranty on all their rods. I guess I could see them not warranting the type of rod you described. "standard/poor quality rod" I think GM's upper end rods are very nice rods. If there were no warranty on those rods I'd be concerned.

I don't know series rod you have, IM7- IM8, IM6, or advantage series? Have worked with Gander many the rod were good quality, Not every rod can be perfect, just like every car coming from the line have oops some place. Humans build it, ie mistakes are made. I have several gander rods Only one had a problem but its still fishable. I'll use it myself and let my clients use the better rods, also St.croixs.

I'm actually calling my manager (I work in the fishing department at the Lakeville store) this afternoon anyway, I'll ask and report back. As far as complaints go, for the most part, I agree, the company could and SHOULD do a lot better. Please don't take it out on those of us who DO try to help though. I realize that a lot of my fellow employees aren't as into customer service as I am, that's a personal thing that can't be helped. As far as getting rid of them, managers aren't gonna realize anything unless you, the customer, reports back. Every customer service (and most registers) should have comment cards, where you can call a toll free number and give us a negative or a positive report, which goes into our next evaluation.

However please don't take out your frustration on us if we can't help it. For example, one night a guy came into Gander demanding that we return his St. Croix rod. I explained to him that we don't return it (That's ST. CROIX'S policy, NOT ours, they ask us to do that), and that you have to ship it in to them. Well he wanted a container to ship the rod, and said that a fellow employee had stated that we have those. Well to my knowledge we didn't, and I called the fellow employee. He said that we used to keep the tubes St. Croix sent us the rods in, and we'd hand them out to customers (no charge) who had to return it, to make it as easy as possible. Well St. Croix stopped shipping them in the tubes, so obviously we didn't have them anymore. I explained this to the guy, who proceeded to swear me out for about a minute about how MY company was [PoorWordUsage], our policies were [PoorWordUsage], our service was [PoorWordUsage], blah blah blah. He used a lot worse words, like I said. This was all right in front of his 5-10 year old KID. Needless to say I told the customer that I really couldn't help him anymore, and asked him to leave if he was going to make a scene, which after some more [PoorWordUsage], he did. THOSE are the kind of customers that make US have bad days, which in turn causes us to take it out on you. So please, don't take out your anger on us just because we weren't able to help you.

Anyways, now that I got that out of the way, I'll report back around 3-4 on what my manager says.

Well that would be unfortunate... I just picked up a couple of rods in the Guide Series last year because they were the best rods I could aford and I knew they had a good warranty.

I have NEVER had a good experience with St. Croix and Loomis is way out of my price range. If this is true (no warranty) I will have to look elsewhere for my next rod purchase.

The Gander warranty (in all departments) has been going downhill steadily for about the last year. I had a experience at the Lakeville store a few months ago that still eats at me today.

The good news is that they now have their "no questions asked" (Summit Protection Plan) warranty, that is available for you to buy for a hefty fee, and you'll have a warranty that their competition provides at no extra charge. I can promise that the fastest way to lose my business is to upcharge me (similar to Best Buy) for a warranty.

I do most of my shopping at Cabelas strictly because they will take anything back. Once they don't, I'll look elsewhere. Unlike other posters have mentioned, I think big box stored do a better job handling returns than the little guys. It's knowing where they are talking about where the little guys shine.

I'd still buy GM rods as long as no longer providing a warranty did not mean that they start slacking on product quality. I've been more than happy with my 2 GM rods I have right now.

Also I've never needed a warranty in all the fishing I've done, never been unsatisfied with a rod purchase, and the only time one of my rods broke was due to human error.

"taking anything back" is not policy that retailers can operate by during these economic times. It costs the retailer money and costs the manufacturer money. It ends up costing all consumers more money in terms of higher prices.

Heck, even Wal-Mart has somewhat tightened their return policies.

So true Kato. Those costs have to be covered somewhere are almost always build into the price. Not to mention abuse of return policies. I dont want my rod to cost an extra $5 so Joe Schmoe down the road can bring back the 4 rods his kids decided to play swords with. I'll take care of my stuff and take the risk. I do agree that there can be manufacturing mistakes so I guess I just try to inspect each rod carefully before purchasing.

I only own one GM rod and if it breaks it wont be a big deal. I bought it for taking up to the BWCA and for $20 i think its a really nice rod.

GM has fairly good service and i will keep shoping there because it is close to my house

I bought a ultra light combo for $20 2 years ago, busted the tip off the rod state for over a year, i finally was gonna toss the rod after i broke it in 3 pieces but heard you guys say they have a sweet warranty just bring it in and they will replace it. I went in on friday showed them the mess and gave me a $30 rod to replace it. no reciept or anything and i got an upgrad on the rod i couldnt believe it. Sad to see it go if its true

Well guys I just got off the phone with my manager (Fishing Department Manager at the Lakeville store), and he has NOT heard of ANY changes to the warranty on Guide Series rods, at all. He was just as baffled by me when I asked him, so I'm not sure where this rumor came from.

The official warranty is full coverage for two years, however I have NEVER seen someone with a Guide Series rod turned away, ever, even when the rod was years old an a discontinued model. Don't quote me on that though, technically the warranty is for two years. I've always sold them with a "lifetime" warranty though, because I've never heard of anyone being turned away.

Thanks guys, will do. Again, if you show us a little curteosy, and realize that we might be juggling five different customers at once (I've had some people actually tell me to slow down and relax, and some walk out of the store), or that we could just be having a bad day. And while you guys have bad days at work too, you usually don't have to try to not share that with hundreds of other people asking you for something during a full shift.

Anyways, if you guys ever have any other questions about Gander, let me know, and if you see a young guy named Tyler at the Lakeville store, say hi!

Nice work Tyler. I have had nothing but good experiences with the Gander in Mankato. I have even brought in rods that are not the GM Series rods and they have always either replaced it or given me store credit for the rod. Outstanding customer service...that's why I spend the majority of my fishing dollars with them.

Tyler, sounds like you are a role model employee. I often shop at GM Lakeville becuase it is close to me but I will be looking for you in the future. IMO there is nothing better than shopping at a place where you know and trust the people you are purchasing from. I think the is why many people avoid the big box stores and purchase from the smaller retailers but it sounds like you have things figured out.

I had a rod returned a few years ago at the old Fridley store. Rod was discontinued so the associate found a few rods similar in price and action. He said I could chose from any of the ones he found as a replacement. I've never had a problem with any returns either. I bought GM reels and the associates all say if it ever breaks down to just bring it in and they'll replace it. I work at Target part time so I always try to save receipts on expensive purchases. Tyler, I empathize what you go thru with customers who are rude. Customers think that a return can be brought back any time when there are specific company policies that dictate when a return can be done. i.e. 90 days. Raising your voice will not get you anywhere but the exit door.

Thank you Tyler! Retail could definitely use more good people like you. Being in a different type of sales I try to be courteous to others in the field knowing that some customers are downright rude and nasty for no reason.

We own 10 GM rods (3 walleye spinning, 1 muskie, and 6 Great Lakes trolling) and 2 reels and agree for the combination of quality and price they absolutely cannot be beat. I usually buy in June when the have the buy 1, get one half off sales. Didn't even know they have a warranty.

I have only broken one and that was during a rod locker incident. Turned my 7' into a 6' 8" but I put a new eye on it and the action is still great.

Steve

i broke a Pflueger Rod that i purchased from there and decided just to try the possibility of exchanging it, going into the store almost certain that i'd end up buying the replacement, but the guy that helped me originally purchase it a week earlier helped me again and exchanged it no cost. I've since bought all my rods and reels from there, knowing that i'll be taken care of. The guide series rods are nice, and affordable.

I've only returned two rods, one to Gander and one to Cabellas. I've broken many more by stepping on them, cramming them into my truck bed, or by other stupidities done by me. I won't take those back to the store for a free replacement. Call me dumb for not taking advantage of the generous return policy, but I think people should only be returning rods when they have a manufacturing defect.

Call it shopping with a conscience.