• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp question

so i've only ever caught carp when i've been sittin crawlers on the bottom.. never purposely fished them.. but these pics here make me wanna go out and hit'em up.. now do you normally use a slip sinker rig when you use corn.. or bobber?.. if im using a bobber what range am i looking for?

tonight i saw a ton of carp rolling up to the top out in these backwaters i was fishing and it made me wanna catch'em

Depends on the situation, I've caught them under floats but still fishing the bottom. In lakes i'll just use 1 or 2 split shot and in the river I'll go slip rig. You can try free lining floating jig heads with a crawler or corn that makes for some fun fishing when you can watch them suck it in from the suface. I've only managed a couple fish this way. There is no wrong way to go about it but most of the time you want to be on the bottom. They have been caught on cranks and suspended on minnows.

Good Luck

in backwaters i like to use a small bobber and just enough weight to cast aways, sometimes none. just let your bobber drag your bait along the bottom or close to the bottom. corn or worms.

i freshen my bait and recast alot. your bobber doesn't really need to float your bait, just lets you know when you have a bite and when to set the hook.

there's no wrong way to do it, just use minimal tackle for stealth.

I forget who makes them but there are weighted bobbers that let you cast a good distance then no sinkers are needed. The bobber will float laying down and once that baby stands up I set the hook usually fish on. I like to use the smallest one, this maker offers 2 sizes these come in packs of 2 and are not the pencils with the weight at the bottom. Them ones always make the bobber stand vertical which I think has to much resistance for these finicky fish. Don't use the big round ones even though I've seen em work I'm guessing you'll miss more fish then you think.

They're a fun fish to catch! I usually fish them on lakes and stick with corn. My go-to rig is a pretty basic spinning setup... cover a hook with corn, throw on a small split shot or slip sinker. Toss a small handful of corn out there, throw out your line and wait for a bite. For added fun, i go to an UL.

That bobber idea sounds good. I'll have to give it a try.

btw... i like the Frankin quote CarpKing.

One technique not mentioned yet is plastics. I've caught carp using plastics on a jig head, but if I'm using bait it's always corn and it's always fished off the bottom with a sinker heavy enough for casting(and heavy enough to fight any current if that is an issue)

I forget who makes them but there are weighted bobbers that let you cast a good distance then no sinkers are needed. The bobber will float laying down and once that baby stands up I set the hook usually fish on. I like to use the smallest one, this maker offers 2 sizes these come in packs of 2 and are not the pencils with the weight at the bottom. Them ones always make the bobber stand vertical which I think has to much resistance for these finicky fish. Don't use the big round ones even though I've seen em work I'm guessing you'll miss more fish then you think.

I think the bobber that you're talking about is called a waggler; made by thill, The best way to use these to their full potential is to put just enough weight under it so just the little top part is sticking out of the water. THis makes it so that the fish feels almost no resistance.

No, its not the waggler but thats probably a good choice. These are yellow and orange plastic with internal weights for casting distance. I love them Wagglers for slip bobbin Pannies and Walleyes but the darn things break all the time.

The most simple and best rig I use for carp on lakes is the tiniest amount of split shot one foot up from a #4 or #6 octopus hook. Rig the hook with a couple of kernels of canned corn. Throw a handful of corn out to the area your'e targeting and then cast your rig near that area. Set you rod down on the shore with the bail open and watch your line.

i need to get a corn cannon.. seeing as i blew my rotater cuff back in HS and then came crashing down on it again earlier this year in a nasty slip and fall at work(literally could not move my arm for 3 days).. i cannot throw corn further than like 4ft from shore without the possibility of rolling my shoulder out of socket..

I've never used a scoop like that but I saw a guy fishing by me use one. His was longer and skinnier that that though. He said it came from some ball tossing game his kids had. He could sure chuck a can of corn a long way though, probably 50 ft.

Originally Posted By: itchmesir
here we go laugh

6007036rocketfishingrod2_250x250.jpg

That puts the Ronco pocket fisherman to shame cool

we all know nothing can beat...

fish-pen-b.jpg

i kinda wanna get one.. just to see what the biggest thing i could land with it could be

here is the commercial!

http://www.asseenontvvideo.com/630/Fish-Pen.html

this guy dont have room for bulky items but still had room for his waders and fishing vest.. haha