Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GotOne

How about a little respect!!!!

33 posts in this topic

Anybody else think it's disrespectful to call your dad, husband, wife, .... "MY OLD MAN....MY OLD LADY". Just bugs the [PoorWordUsage] out of me when I hear or see the above-mentioned!!!!Even bugs me more than the "boxfan" thread:)

Personally dosen't bother me. I only think it would if it was intended to be disrespectful. I think in most cases it isn't meant that way. Just my 2 cents.

If I called my wife "my old lady", I would be shot with my own gun! I would never call my dad, "my old man". Call me old fashion!

My old um ahh Dad hated that so much if I would have called my Mom that I would not be typing today trust me.

I really don't have a prob with it and neither does the old lady, but my new girlfriend hates it. LOL,, now the old lady is going to kill me laugh

It didn't fly in my house growing up and won't for my kids, but I know a lot of good people who grew up talking like that. Was in Burger King the other day when some high school kid says OHOH the old lady's coming. I expected his mom to come in here it a girl that looks 16.

My brother used to call his ex-wife "War Wagon"....

I still get a chuckle out of that every now and then... smile

Didn't fly in my house growing up. Still don't do it. It personally wouldn't bother me if not meant disrespectful. I have called my wife my old lady a couple of times, but as a joke. Otherwise I would get punched pretty good.

We call each other our "Roomie" or "Roommate". Some people when they hear that cant believe we call each other that. We just laugh about it.

As long as it's not said in disrespect or used while kidding around, I don't mind. But I guess when I do get really old, it might be leaning towards the offensive zone. Not an OLD

lady yet.. smilesmirk

And I LIKE the box fan forum.. Weird humor, but some of that stuff sneaks up and you just gotta laugh.. Gotta go see if anyones found it yet.... smile

Personally I think its fine. No disrespect intended. Where I might differ than some is... My old man is my father and my old lady is the wife. My wifes old man would be her father and she wouldn't have an old lady.

Mom stay mom.

I sometimes refer to my first wife as "Practice Wife #1" and that always elicits some response from the ladies, my Wife included!

She always rolls her eyes and asks for re-confirmation that she isn't practice wife #2--LOL!

I had a hockey coach who hated the terms old man and old lady, and any swearing, and he made us do more Herbies and board to boards and laps and pushups if he heard us use them. This was midgets, so some pretty "wild" teenage boys (often those who got cut from varsity, so basically a younger "bar league" for many). While I never used the terms (my Dad didn't, so I didn't) I did respect my coach and his values he tried to instill in us. I think he reached out and made hundreds and hundreds of us kids better people. Wes Barrette of East Side Midgets.

But, as others said, I don't think it is that often used in disrespect. I just don't think it sounds good, personally.

Chef, how about "my next ex" haha, or "Wife 2.0", I would get butt checked if I used that one, ha!

I call my mother mom, My father dad and my ole lady 3 horse...........Nag Nag Nag

doesnt bug me at all. i just call my girlfriend the old ball and chains

I have never really used those terms, and I was not the model kid as a teenager. Just never seemed to fit, I mean calling your ma and girlfried/wife "the old lady" Eeeeewwwwww!

I dont believe I have used any other terms. I usually refer to friends wives/husbands as "hey, when if your old lady gonna get here?".

Wait, maybe thats why I have never married! LOL grin

My dad is sixty, I refer to him as my old man. I figure he has earned it at that age. laugh

As long as I can remember he would refer to his dad that way, so did his brothers (they are all older than him) and they all still do. I don't think they meant any disrespect by it and I certainly don't. I would be willing to bet one of my St. Croixs my old man grin wouldn't be the least bit offended by it.

My wife is four years younger than me and not even thirty yet. "Old lady" just doesn't fit. grin I'll have to ask her how she refers to me... or wait, maybe I don't want to know laugh

Hey Box...I've seen that name Wes Barette before...From what I remember, he was a well respected coach.

My wife is either the "better half". or the "lady I sleep with". and she was shocked when I would call my mother "MA".

She said if she ever called her mother that, she would have been decked, and I believe her on that one. smile

Hey Box...I've seen that name Wes Barette before...From what I remember, he was a well respected coach.

Hey ULT, yep, he was, for many years. He actually died on the ice during a fall in practice. He was around 70, I think coached for pretty close to 50 years. After his death they started making coaches wear helmets while on the ice.

I had the priviledge of working for him for many years, he was bricklayer and I was a laborer for him and his son. He was great guy, well respected and good family friend. Everytime time I hear someone say "old man... old lady" I think of Wes and how many push ups that would be worth smile

I got one that bugs me, when my kids (ages 4 to 19) call me by my first name rather then Dad around the house or quiet setting. The only time that I will let them by with it is when we are in a loud room with many other people that could answer to the word Dad.

I got one that bugs me, when my kids (ages 4 to 19) call me by my first name rather then Dad around the house or quiet setting. The only time that I will let them by with it is when we are in a loud room with many other people that could answer to the word Dad.

Now that one does bother me. My three your old calls us Mommy and Daddy but our twelve year old calls us by our first name only. She's only lived with us since Nov and at first was told we were foster parents. We are working on finalization. It doesn't bug me a ton because of her special situation, but I would like her to find something more "respectful" to call us down the road.

Like Mr. or Mrs. Sandmannd? Just kidding. I agree with you. It just doesn't seem right to hear a child referring to a parent by their first name. Why is that?

To my kids I'm dad, not the old man.

My wife is just that, My Wife, not "the" wife, the old lady or any other lower form of endearment.

My father is dad, my mother is mom. Men I don't know are Sir, women I don't know are Ma'am. Never been accused of being disrespectful.