• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many have missed?!

DRH1175

A few years back I had a nice tom strutting in the middle of my decoys. I was holding off on the shot just enjoying the show. Well he kept drifting farther and farther away till finally I figured I better shoot before he gets too far. blush BOOM! He starts running. BOOM! He starts flying. BOOM! Over the hill he goes. I run up to the edge to see if he's flopping down there. Nope, I see him 1/2 mile away already still running! frown

Talk about frustrating. Ain't it a great sport? grin

I "missed".

On opening morning.

At sunrise, there were around 12 Toms strutting and a half a dozen hens out in the field. I cut one tom away from the circus to within range at around 8AM.

Boom, he starts running. Boom he continues to run 300 yards across the field then flies when he hits the the edge. Meanwhile the rest of the flock are either running or flying off.

Yeah real nice, I just educated the whole flock.

Ghost town the rest of the day. I relocated the next day on same field, closer to where they enter the field.

yep, missed 2 birds last year with a shotgun, on 2 different days. Both were a little out of range, but probably could have been hit. It was my first year, and I didn't know much about it. I will hopefully be using a rangefinder this year since i'm going archery.

At 40 yards forget the "Aim at the wattles" idea and block out the top of the head with your sight. I know longer shot can be tempting but do your best to resist. A week before each season I always take 2-3 shots at measured 35 and 40 yards at a head target. It reaffirms my confidence and plants that image of what a bird looks like at 40 yds AND reminds me to aim at the top of the head at that distance. Last try to set up so when you first see the bird, it's in range - it's good if they have to look for you over a rise or around a corner.

I guess I haven't missed, but I had one that I didn't hurt much, apparently due to being a little too far. He didn't know where I was though, as they weren't responding to calling, so I'd circled him & stalked him. He came towards me after the first shot & I shot him again. I still wasn't sure if I'd got him or not. When I got to where I could see the whole hillside, it was quite steep, he was laying there a few yards from where I'd shot the second time.

I did have a hen last fall take off on me. I body shot her, so I missed the head, but she tried to roost & then fell 30+ feet from the tree & was dead. I didn't see it, but I sure could hear it. It sounded pretty cool.

I called in a nice tom for my partner Saturday morning, and he missed...3 TIMES! First shot around 40, 2nd at about 50, and the third was more out of desperate frustration.

I wouldn't have laughed so hard if I hadn't done the same thing in nearly the identical location a year ago. It happens......

DRH

I'll come clean, I have missed one. Here's what I had to do to prevent it again. Had won a Bareta auto (PF or NWTF banquet.) Use it as a turkey gun since I refuse to mess with my reflex pump action with the 870 Wingmaster. The Bareta's stock needed a slight adjustment (shim rotated.) Here's what to do to check your gun.

Hold at side in both hands. Close eyes and raise gun into shooting position. Open your eyes. The sight, barrel and all ought to be in proper alingment ready to fire.

When I brought that gun up I saw too much rib and if I didn't adjust aim I'd shoot high. GM charged me $20 to rotate the shim and showed me how to take it apart/reassemble at the same time. Gun comes up perfectly now.

I came really close...

In 2001 patterning my gun an 870 I noticed that I had a tendancy to hit high... Not keeping my head down on the stock and aiming right down the rib.

4th morning of my hunt. It is 6:35AM and I had repositioned for the 3rd time in 30 minutes crazy I see the fan comming up to an opening 30 yards away. I was on the top of the hill and the bird(s) were just over the edge. He steps out into my shooting lane and I take the first shot available at the mature bird. He goes down-- I jumped up and flushed several other turkeys off to my left but just over the hill. I ran on over and got to the bird just as it started flopping. As best I could tell there were 2 pellets in his head grin

He was a nice 2 year old bird. Fist ever. Now I am below the waddles blush

Good Luck

Steve

I will be using a bow this year so we will see if I have any stories of misses late in the season...Stay tuned.

last year i had a new scope for my gun and was anxious to try it out... got trigger happy and overconfident and unloaded one at 55... which i was guessing to be 40-45. Big bird + trigger happy = no bird

good lesson though

Have missed 3 over the last 20 years 1 with the shotgun and 2 with muzzeloader ,the shotgun one was in a driving rainstorm and struting when i shot i no longer shoot while they are strutting.the muzzeloader i just shot to far over 40 yds they claim they can shoot 50 with em but not mine!I think i solved the problem put a prodiamond reticle simmons scope on each they have a diamond reticle if his head is in the reticle he is a dead bird!! Now with the bow i have missed 5 nerves , brush , nerves, spooked em you name it , that s why you cant get down just keep at it!

I got it out of the way on my first hunt; my partner told me that the bird flinched right as I pulled the trigger...you know how they do the whole chicken head bob thing when they get excited...that's what this tom did.

Luckily for me, he stuck around long enough to chamber another round and put the bead back on him.

my first hunt on opening day he strutted in and I think he was around 45yds and wouldnt come any closer so a drew a fine bead and squeezed the trigger and he flopped over as I got up and headed towards him he got up and flew away and I was so much in shock I didnt even think to raise the gun I watched where he went and followed looking for sign but couldnt find anything. was bummed but as stated in an earlier post got my revenge 2 days later and I think, I'm almost certain that I got the same bird. and I really like what borch had to say cus its gonna happen sooner or later. its just time.

I missed once because I wasnt patient enough to let him come closer. Three years ago I shot one and he flipped over onto his back. As i was getting out of my blind to claim my prize, I looked up to see him hauling across the field before taking flight. There I stood with this dumb look on my face. Th ebead doesnt come off them now until they dont move for a time.