• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod building

I would love to make a custom rod but wont drive to the cities to do it and I cant find a class around my parts.

I would really like to make 2 matching jigging rods. Nothing fancy just a basic rod with ten handle, good guides and a folding hook keeper.

About the only thing one can do to find a class is to check the community ed classes in ones area or dfins a shop that teaches one.

Steve, you may think you would only build a non fancy rod but once you get going, the fancy part just happens.

just about anything really. Once I learn to build a couple, I don't think I'd be able to stop. I think it'd be very fun. May start with ice rods since they'd be a little cheaper and simpler to do. Then, who knows from there. As I stated, I'm unemployed so if anyone needs help building rods, I'm available.

About the only thing one can do to find a class is to check the community ed classes in ones area or dfins a shop that teaches one.

Steve, you may think you would only build a non fancy rod but once you get going, the fancy part just happens.

The fancy thing starts as a challenge to see if you can pull it off. Then you start to see some others work and think wow that is cool, I have to try that. It is just plain addicting.

I will say a fancy butt wraps, inlays in the guide wraps, decals, etc, don't add to the functionality of the rod, but then chrome or aluminum wheels don't make your truck run any better either, but we all are looking for that stuff. It just adds another level to the rod being custom and setting it apart from everyone else's rod.

Even better, for us south metro folk, is Midwest Rod and Reel in downtown Prior Lake. I took their class offered through the Savage Community Ed and haven't looked back since. Plus Al and Bill are great guys to learn from. They take the time and have the patience to help each indiviual builder to make sure they understand the process.

It really is a lot of fun.

What are you interested in building??

I want 2 identicle -7' medium power with a fast tip jigging rods. Probably in a Legend blank or a Loomis. My biggest concern is weight. I just want a very basic rod that is light and durable. I would use it for jigs anyplace from 1/8th to 3/4 oz.

Im thinking I can just go buy 2 rods for about the same $ and save myself the time though.

Yep, you can. But the satisfaction of knowing every detail of that rod you build and knowing that the guides are exactly where you want them and the spine is perfect and the cork is shaped for your hand and etc., etc., etc.

That is what makes building a rod yourself special. It's YOUR rod, not one that is made like everyone elses.

The one thing you may not find is the Tennessee style handle in a production rod. I don't think they are popular in production rods.

I am doing one for friend of my wife's brother for a gift. I will post a few pics when it is done.

It would be worth contacting Thorne Bros. and talking to Lonnie (or you have my e-mail). It would be worth your time to build just two rods. You yould appreciate it, you can do little things to your rod building that you can't get when purchasing a factory rod.