Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzzsaw

Spring Waterfowl Honeyholes

23 posts in this topic

Have been good so far this spring.

Canvasback drake with a drip.

111559193.jpg

Pinnie drake

111544348.jpg

Hooded Merganser mating display. (These guys are fun to watch)

111529715.jpg

111500998.jpg

Northern Shoveler "spooning" water.

111512730.jpg

Red Breasted Merganser.. my obligatory BIF.

111326706.jpg

Pinnie (hen)

111525478.jpg

A semi rare sighting...a Barrows Goldeneye.

111570422.jpg

I am pretty sure I saw a Cinnamon teal as well and will be going back to check this location tonight or tomorrow night. smile

Just fantastic Mike, the Barrow's the Mergie with his head tilted back....Perfect work on the whites! After I do a bit of de-compressing I will be in touch. wink

Very pretty work, buddy! Two things stand out better than all the other good things: excellent detail in the whites, and that goldeneye is a perfect portrait.

Tack sharp and perfect light. Looks like Mike's usual spring shots winkgrin

Man, those are awesome Mike! The Barrow's and the drake Pintail are my favs.

Easily the best barrows goldeneye image I have seen come out of Minnesota!!

Great stuff Mike! I'd say the honeyholes have been quite productive!

I really love bird behavior. The merganser is wonderful.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked them, they are definitely fun spending time with.

111617928.jpg

Last spring I got into waterfowl photography with my father-in-law. Everything seemed to come together as it was easy for us to find many different varieties of migrants on many of the local ponds (Eden Prairie/Chanhassen area). I enjoyed it so much that I invested in a 50D this last winter and am in the market for a couple of prime lenses. Unfortunately, I have been very disappointed in the amount and variety of birds I have seen this year. They are definitely not on the same ponds. I've spent hours in the blind only to watch a few mallards and wood ducks. There's been no buffleheads, no shovelers, no ringnecks, no teal, not to mention the less common varieties that you have captured. At this point I'm hoping for a better spring next year, as my wife and I are expecting a baby any day now.

So in my frustration, I find that I appreciate your images that much more. Your work is a testament to scouting and knowing where the ducks want to be. While I thought this year was a bust you continue to produce great photos. Keep the images coming.

Those are neat pics!! I love the Barrows as i never see them around MN... but all are stellar! Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
So in my frustration, I find that I appreciate your images that much more. Your work is a testament to scouting and knowing where the ducks want to be. While I thought this year was a bust you continue to produce great photos. Keep the images coming.

Thank you very much! The effort is generally appreciated more by other photogs as they realize getting some of these species is difficult. I find getting close and getting full frame or close to full frame images with a 300mm lens is just another challenge in the pursuit of getting nice images. I also strive to expand the species in the portfolio so finding a Barrows was a HUGE bonus! I heard from a friend that my Cinnamon was not spotted last night so I may have missed the boat on that species. cry

You are in an area that has some very good locations nearby! If you scout out the river valley, you will find some nice locations for years to come!

I'm not a huge photo guy (tho I'd like to get a digital SLR and play with it more), but I duck hunt a lot and that helps. I was wondering what you're using to get these great, detailed shots. 300mm huh? that's great! Do you setup a blind to get as close to the action as you can?

Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked them, they are definitely fun spending time with.

111617928.jpg

Now I am sure that you have these guys trained in your backyard grin

That is a great shot and some perfect timing on your part.

Moonie, I do setup blinds from time to time. It really depends on different factors and subject matter.

Jim, your funny and I WISH! grin