• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

And then there was Sunday

Steve Foss

Ken and I had a day full of birds on the way to photograph the sharp-tailed grouse.

Here's a sampling. Man, I could watch pelicans wheel and soar all day long. Truly they are the synchronized swimmers of the bird world. smilesmile

Aside from the drumming ruffed grouse, these are all essentially grab shots of birds we came across while traveling. Squeal to a stop, hop out, shoot as long as possible, hop back in, accelerate! gringrin

All with the Canon 1D Mk3, Canon 200 f2.8L, 300 f2.8L IS or 500 f4L IS with and without the Canon 1.4 TC, most at iso400, wide variety of shutter speeds and apertures. The pellies in particular I shot stopped down to f9 and f11 so they'd all be sharp.

3463125808_d9666f83ee_o.jpg

3463125806_71cfea4ca2_o.jpg

3463125802_e831e72037_o.jpg

3462308359_589d6a9a55_o.jpg

3462308355_5dddfd5284_o.jpg

3462308349_48b8b4546a_o.jpg

3462308347_eb99fdec7e_o.jpg

Hey, some super shots, man! Those pelicans really came out well! Eagle shots are better than I would have thought under conditions we faced and the killdeer really came out nice. I haven't started to look at those folders yet. After sharpies I had some other work to do, and baseball today. I will try to get some up later, however!

Really, my fave is the first ringbill shot.

Boy, after that marathon post-processing session with the grouse, I was ready to just blow off sorting and processing the other folders and go shoot, but I figured if I didn't get at it right away, I maybe never would. gringrin

Think I'll go out this afternoon and see if I can find the pair of great gray owls I located near Ely on Friday/Saturday. I hope they nest here. I only have one series of images of a GGO with green leaves in the frame.

Nice shots! I love watching Pelicans fly.

I need to take one of you guys out on the river sometime to get some nice shots of the Kingfishers that seem to be everywhere lately.

I like what Steve did with the baldy. Great environment shot that makes the eye follow the tree up to the bird...Classic!

That vulture looks like he meant business...yikes!

This thread is my absolute favorite on this forum. Thank you to everyone for contributing such beautiful bird photographs!