• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

08 Rincon or 09 Grizzly 550?

nine-tiner

Depends. If you are only trail riding and not working the machine then the Honda. If you are going to do some work (plowing snow, etc.) then definitely the Yamaha. It has low range, a diff locker, and more ground clearance.

Been plowing my 150 yard driveway since 2000 with a 1999 Honda Foreman 450 ES without any problem. Also have skid trees and pull trailer. Use the ATV winch to pull a 6 X 8 fish house on to trailer. Plus tons of fun rides.

Which is why I have two new Honda ATVs at my place.

Buy Honda.

Tink

Depends. If you are only trail riding and not working the machine then the Honda. If you are going to do some work (plowing snow, etc.) then definitely the Yamaha. It has low range, a diff locker, and more ground clearance.

This sums it up to a "T".

well it sounds like most are in agreement with the way I am leaning...the 550 Grizzly....figured the extra CC's weren't as important as some of the other benefits...a person looses traction way before they run out of power....

Been plowing my 150 yard driveway since 2000 with a 1999 Honda Foreman 450 ES without any problem. Also have skid trees and pull trailer. Use the ATV winch to pull a 6 X 8 fish house on to trailer. Plus tons of fun rides.

Which is why I have two new Honda ATVs at my place.

Buy Honda.

Tink

True, but your model is much better suited for work than the Rincon is. The transmission is an automotive style with 3 gears and there is no low range. I have buddies who had them and thought they would be mudding machines, put bigger tires on them and when they hit the first mud hole the tires wouldnt even spin. Your machine would have no issues with this. The Rincon is a fine trail machine, but it is not a good work machine.

Even though the Grizzly is only a 550, if you plan to do any work at all it is far and away the better choice between those two models. There are other Hondas that would fit the bill better than the Rincon, but that was not desired by the OP.

The 550 has more features, and I don't believe you can beat Yamaha's belt. It's a real nice quad, but comes with a pretty steep price compared to others. I thought 700's were only like $700 more? If that's the case, get the 700. You can never have to much power...as long as your belt can handle it.

I own a Rincon and it is a great quad. Superb handling and decent power. Both that I've owned have been problem free. One thing that I really like about the Rincon that many people do not, is the single range transmission. To me, it's nice to be able to just ride. With the belt driven quads I've owned it was always a pain to stop and shift it back and forth. May not be a problem for many, but it was annoying to me.

Good luck with whatever you choose. They are both great machines.

One thing that I really like about the Rincon that many people do not, is the single range transmission. To me, it's nice to be able to just ride. With the belt driven quads I've owned it was always a pain to stop and shift it back and forth. May not be a problem for many, but it was annoying to me.

What do you mean? High/Low range? I think I have used Low Range only a couple times and it is when I know I am going to be putting along. I use it to drive up in the back of my pickup or when I was pulling the aerator around the yard because I wanted to keep the speeds down.

Normal riding I would never use it. I think it would really depend how how big the machine is that you have, powerwise. My AC 650 has more grunt in high than most do in low because it has 4.0 gearing.

You're right though, both are nice machines, but they have completely different strengths and weaknesses.

There is no hi/low range on a rincon.

I know that, in fact I believe I even mentioned it in my earlier post. I was trying to get clarification on what he was talking about "was always a pain to stop and shift it back and forth". I will tell you one thing, if a Rincon would go places that a normal quad needed to go into Low range for, i would be very surprised.

My only objection to the rincon is how it performs in thick heavy mud. Do to the transmission, they cant spin the tires like belt driven quads. Other than that it doesnt really bother me a whole lot that it doesnt have diff. lock. I rarely have every used mine. The only time I used low range in mine is for plowing because its better on the belt to be in low. Usually when plowing you lose traction way before you ever run out of power.

I know there is only a single range on the Rincon. This is what I like about it. When I drove my Brute Force or my old man's Polaris, I was annoyed at how often I had to come to a complete stop and switch back and forth. Many people rarely use low range, and it tends to cause problems. Most recommendations say that anything under 25 should be in low.

I've owned a '03 650 and my current '07 680. I've had one time where I couldn't turn my tires and that was in thick, boot-stealing mud. That was also with 27" Outlaws, which are about as agressive as you can get. I know the Rincon doesn't have a low range like many others, but this is almost never a problem under normal riding conditions. Even with my experiences in mud, it's rarely been a problem...maybe twice in over 4000 miles.

Some interesting thoughts being put forth here .I used to really be a Honda fan and still am to some degree because they are so reliable but heah Yamaha has always been right there alongside them in that aspect too , but the Hondas not having the option to lock the differential in this day and age certainly has me scratching my head in " whynot " .

The new Grizzly 550 with eps really catches my eye . It even seems big to me for the type of riding and terrain I cover but hopefully it is closer to as economical as it's smaller bored cousins .

I chuckle if I go for a ride with some buds, at how they with their big bores have to worry about finding or carrying extra fuel on day long rides while I never think about it and if they plow with they'res, holy moly things get even worse . They can't outpower me either pushing snow although I only run a 400 BB .

Things though would change if I felt the need to turn big monster tires or tracks but heah I can't see that happening since I don't have an oil well on the property and even if I did, methinks the 550 grizzly would be more than enough to handle most duties whether it be plowing or spinning it's wheels in the mud and yes it has differential lock and the power steering to make things sweet .

Whether your spinning your wheels in the mud at 30 mph or a 100 mph what difference does it make ? Your only spinning and not going anywhere anyways .

TD

This is a good thread and like sharing opinions. I am currently debating between a grizz 450 or a rancher 420 for my fiancee and based on the way I know she is going to ride the machine I am leaning towards the Honda. When I say that the Honda's have trouble spinning the tires in the mud I am also comparing this aspect to other big bores like kingquad 700's, Grizz 700's, Brute Force 750's, and Outlanders. I have seen these side by side and its an issue for the Rinny being that it is a 3wd quad and doesnt spin them fast enough. I am not saying that it wont get the job done but maybe not like the others. It all depends on the type of mud you are in as well. In Minn. I havent seen a whole lot of nasty thick mud which is good. What I do like about the rinny is that I believe it is the best handling big bore out of all. When you sit on the machine I feel like I am "sitting in the machine." I feel very stable and dont feel like I am going to tip. On the Grizz I sort of feel like I am sitting on top of the machine and it feels a little tippy. Just my 2 cents.

Well I appreciate all the positive input on both models. 99% sure that I will be going with the 550 Grizzly....hopefully sooner than later...

Here are my reasons why...

Ground Clearance

Low Range (for plowing)

Experience riding with other Grizzly owners (seeing what they can do...WOW...wheel spin does make a difference)

Looks

and well in the long run it will probably see just as much work as trail riding.

I have only had swing arm suspensions to this point so I am REALLY looking forward to the IRS...

Paul-

My choices for a new one for my wife would be the same, in her case I would probably go with the Rancher now that they are available with IRS. She doesn't nearly punish her machine the way I do and the Rancher will go and go and go...

What I do like about the rinny is that I believe it is the best handling big bore out of all. When you sit on the machine I feel like I am "sitting in the machine." I feel very stable and dont feel like I am going to tip. On the Grizz I sort of feel like I am sitting on top of the machine and it feels a little tippy. Just my 2 cents.
It depends what you are looking for. The Rincon has the lease ground clearance of the machines you listed and considerably less than any Arctic Cat. Lower ground clearance, means lower CG and better handling. I prefer more clearance and suspension articulation for the areas I ride.

Personally I think there are better Hondas made than the Rincon, but it works OK if you keep it to trails and dont work it much.

No diff lock in the front causes issues in any mud as well. All others have some sort of variation of it, some definitely work better than others.

Well I picked up the 09 550 Grizzly saturday afternoon. Managed to take it for a short ride maybe 25 miles or so. Really like the IRS over the old swingarm I had.

Going to get a receiver hitch for it soon and it should be good to go.

I do have a question for everyone...what do you use for wax/polish to keep the plastic looking good??