• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Heat, Does it produce an odor?

Flashman

We spend a week in a tent during deer season, we have a wood stove in our sleeping/living tent but we were wondering about putting a propane heater in our "scent" tent. We're very conscience about controlling our scent keeping all of our hunting clothes in a separate tent to help eliminate odors from cooking and just plain living. We were thinking about getting a propane heater to warm up the "scent" tent and to help in drying things out but thought there maybe some odor from the propane heater? I'm looking for thoughts/insights on the issue. Please let me know either “Ya” or “Na”.

Thanks

For ice fishing my friend and I use the Portable Buddy Heater from Mr. Heater inside a portable fish house. It's approved for indoor/outdoor use, puts out quite a bit of heat and I can't detect an odor. That's not to say a deer couldn't smell it, but I don't think humans can.

They can use the 1lb propane tanks, but if you go with a Buddy I'd recommend getting the hose that attaches to a regular sized propane tank.

we wouldn't heat the scent tent all time but it sure would be nice to warm it up in the morning before we get dressed. It's never fun to run to the scent tent in the morning in you underware when it's 10 degrees out. Thank you to all the have posted and let me know of any other insight on the subject.

During super cold deer seasons I have a heater in the stand, I have seen deer when its running but I have always been downwind of those deer so its hard to say for sure.

I would imagine it gives off some kind of odor that deer can pick up, the question is if the deer get alarmed by that odor or not. I think I would spry down with a heavy dose of scent killer before heading out just to be safe.

Maybe a stupid thought, but does scent killer kill all scents?

Technically I thought it was just supposed to neutralize human scent. For instance if you spill gasoline on your pants & spray scent killer on it, see how that works out for you. I think you'll still smell like gas, maybe I'm wrong.

If your heater is a high efficiant (99%) model you will notice no scent problems...if however, it is not very efficient, or even has a leak the odor will be very noticeable...Another thing about heating a tent with a propane heater is that when propane burns it produces condensation...in a small inclosed area, like a tent, you will get condensation forming on the canvas/vinyl and dripping on everything inside...using a vented heater may help, but if it is really cold out you'll still notice some condensation...

Sorry, have to disagree with most. Yes, propane heaters leave an odor that is very detectable by deer. However, heater or not, you are going to have a wind direction where the deer will smell you anyway (I know we could argue this with the scent lock/shield/eliminator, etc. guys)! Especially mature deer. Just play the wind when you choose a stand location. Besides, if you have wood heat in your tent, trust me, I could smell you a quarter mile away!