• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paddlefish

Paddlefish filter plankton for food and snagging them is the only way to catch them.

I have watched the snagging below Gavins Point Dam and most fish are released. You can only keep one per tag and there is a very strict slot. You can only fish for them if you have a tag as well.

Friends who have eaten them in the past rave about how good they really are! I hope to draw a tag this year for the fall run myself!

Thanks for sharing the pics Barbelboy! Looks like you had a great time!

Alan,

I'm sorry I participated in a very popular, legal, MO DNR regulated fishing season. I'll simply use the response that I have developed for individuals who criticize others here in FM world. "Enjoy the outdoors in the way you choose, but do not criticize me when I decide to do so in a dissimilar, but legal manner" (by the way, I like your tag)

As for everyone else. Yes it was a blast. They taste delicious. I've grilled a bunch up so far...yum! I tried frying some in shore lunch, but it's so different from most fish I think I need more practice to get it right.

CarpKing921, it took us a bit over 9 hours from central MN.

Quote:
I'll simply use the response that I have developed for individuals who criticize others here in FM world.

Criticize? Where did you get that from? I never criticized you or anyone else here... I had just never heard of it before..so that's the only response I had. Hense the frown it's all I got. I had nothing more or less. It's something that looked interesting and at the same time I was bummed I had never heard of it. How you got criticizing you from that is beyond me...

Alan,

I didn't mean to take anything out of context, but usually a highlighted quote about snagging with a frown face adjacent to it indicates displeasure. frown No offense intended or taken. I'd be happy to share everything I know about snagging paddlefish in MO. It's a completely different experience than any other type of fishing i've ever done. If you're interested I would suggest researching it online. Tons of info available.

It's all good...I was just surprised at your response..it's all good now..and I have been doing some research on it...cool looking fish...and nothing short of a cool way of catching a fish that would not take a bait as a normal fish would...

I guess I could have chosen a different smiley to use...I just never heard of it before and wanted to know more..

Oh it's worth looking into. The ones I posted are only 40-50lb fish. They do get up to 100lb plus. Lots of places to go. Many states with seasons. Just look at the respective DNR pages, talk to locals, in some place you can even hire guides. This was my first trip, but I'd be glad to share any of the knowledge that I gained this year.