• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dual Trolling motors or single???

GBPackerNut

Well, was wondering, 16foot boat, any real advantage to having both transom and bow mount motors?

I have seen a few rigs like that, and cant figure out why.

Also what would be preffered, a 80lb terrova up front or a 80lb 3x in the rear?

Just curious on all your opinions.

Having owned both... I prefer a bowmount because it matches the kind of fishing I do. I had my transom mount on the boat when I purchased it and later bought a bow mount. Its much easier to control a boat with the bow mount, unless you plan on backtrolling most of the time while fishing. 80lb terrova up front all the way. Good luck.

It all depends on how you fish ---- and on your personal preference for which type of motor you'd rather run.

A transom mount motor works great for backtrolling or vertical jigging walleyes, or going after panfish. A transom mount motor will give you your best boat control if you're backtrolling with it, not going forward.

A bowmount motor works great for casting, and for live bait rigging, and moving around for panfish, etc. If you slip current in rivers a bowmount is almost a must-have. I've had both on my boats at times but I think that a good strong bowmount will do everything you need it to do.

On windy days the bow mount is much better for control. Back trolling stinks on windy days IMO. Battery goes dead faster backtrolling since you have more drag. I love the bow mount with co-pilot.

I used to have a boat as was descibed... both a motor on the transom and bow. The main reason was so that either person in the boat would have control to move the boat as needed. If someone was fightning a fish, for example, and the other person had to move out of the weeds. Front and rear motors also came in handy to maintain boat position relative to lake features (i.e.: parallel to shore). Personally, with the new remote powerdrive/wireless bow mounts, I have no need for a second motor.

In the past, I had only a transom mount trolling motor, then Both Tmount and Bow mount. Now I only have the bow mount.

Here is what I have found....

If you stand when you fish. ie. Casting for bass, pike, muskies, etc. a bow mount is generally your best bet.

If you fish sitting down. ie. Bobber watching, trolling, drifting, you will have your best luck with a transom mount tiller style trolling motor.

This by no means is gospel, just what I have come to notice. So I guess you could say both have a place in the boat. You just need to decide on what best suits your style of fishing.

I have both on a smaller 16. Each has it's place and I wouldn't want to choose between them. Keeping in mind that all I fish for is walleys so boat control is an important part of my presentation. If I could only get one at a time I would start out with a bow mount. The most powerful one that I could afford.

As you can see from the replies, its just another option for boat control. You really can't have too many options. Options to match your style of fishing or options to adjust to wind and waves. Some days my auto pilot is all I need. Then there are days it won't do.