• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

my first gobbler down.........

james_walleye

Well a friend of mine talked me into putting in for a permit for this spring. Somehow i got drawn for the 347A season. I was not able to get out all the first 3 days so saturday saw me walking out for my first ever turkey hunt. I knew what i had to do to get a gobbler, but really didnt know how everything would play out. Well 5:45 the chorus of calls started in. I had no idea i would hear so many birds. I was listening to at least 8 different birds. Unfortunately they were all south of me and all a couple hundred yards a way i figured. I was hoping something would make its way up the draw to me. About 9am one did. I didnt think my heart would jump like it did when i saw him strutting toward me. But as soon as i saw him i lost him in the brush. 10 minutes later i saw him 100 yards south of me and a call out to him did nothing. The rest of the day was uneventful but i was very confident about sunday morning because i knew where i needed to be. 5:15 sunday morning found me setting my hen and jake decoys 20 yards out in the corner of the set aside field i was sure some of the gobbling came from the morning before. About 6:00 the fun started as the chorus began. This time i was right in the middle of it all. 70 yards to my left was a tom i could see in a tree. 50 yards from him was another one sounding off. And about 100 yards to my right i had 2 more going off. It was almost 7:30 when the bird to my left finally hit the ground. A few minutes later i see him 70 yards in front of me. He skirted me and didnt pay any attention to the decoys. A couple minutes later and a bit disappointed that bird didnt come in, my friend who accompanied me hit his black magic slate call. A couple minutes went by and i was watching the corner to my left hoping something would pop out when i caught movement out of the corner of my right eye. Amazingly 2 gobblers had snuck in over the knoll and were right on top of my decoys. There i was absolutely not ready with my gun on my lap. All i could do was watch and wait it out. They milled around the decoys for a minute and then slid right in front of me at about 12 yards. They looked right at me a few times but they didnt pick me out. Next thing i knew they turned and walked away at a quartering angle which gave me my chance. I was able to get the gun up and at 20 yards i put the rear bird down. My friend didnt think i had a prayer of pulling it off. He saw the birds at 40 yards out and saw the gun on my lap and thought it was over.

He was 21 lbs. 9 1/2" beard. 1" spurs. Here is a quick pick from the cell phone, not the best but you all get the idea.

ed0f02923a4f.jpg

Congrats, definitely had some odds against you not being able to hunt 5 days, gun in your lap when 2 nice gobblers came in on Sunday, the mental drain of seeing birds close but not being able to get them any closer on Saturday...but it all worked out okay! I'm heading down to 347 in a little over a week, hopefully I don't get snow like last year!

Thats the experience we pray for when introducing a new hunter! That will play out in your mind at work, at home and in the field for the rest of your life. Kick [PoorWordUsage], good for you!

I bet you're already planning next year or looking into other states! Welcome fellow turkey freak! -Jim in MN