• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Emerald Green Aborvitaes

lindy rig

I just purchased a half dozen of these from Lowe's. They are about 4 ft tall right now. I have them spaced approx 4 ft apart along our fenceline to create a "privacy screen" from our neighbors. I put mulch around the bases.

1) How much/often should I water them during the 1st year?

2) Are there any special pruning techniques?

Thanks!

If they are not irrigated they should get watered twice a week for the first couple weeks and then maybe once a week after that if its dry.

If you want them to fill the gaps, your pruning should be minimal. Arbo's get pretty woody on the inside so don't prune off too much if you do. Maybe just a light shearing in june/july if you want to even out the shape. Otherwise I would let them go and fill in.

lindy rig, watering liberally throughout the fall helps evergreens store water, which can be important since they transpire (lose moisture to the air) throughout winter. South-facing arborvitae that do not get enough fall moisture are prone to sun burning over winter too, and some people wrap them in burlap or other fabric to shield them from the sun.

The needles on the inside of the tree are starting to turn brown. Is this normal? I would assume the colors of the needles shouldn't change with the seasons correct?

I have been watering about once a week. Skipping the weeks when it rains.

It shouldn't be winter burn yet? Should I water more or less?

Thanks guys!

And just to clarify... they look fine from a distance but when I get close and/or seperate the branches a little there is significant amount of brown needles.

Just wondering if I can / should do anything about it now.

Just in case anyone else was wondering..... (besides me LOL!)

I called Linder's. They said this sounds normal. Apparently the arborvitaes and some other types of evergreens "shed" some interior needles.

Thanks anyway!