• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable fish finder for fly-in trips?

Coming up this June and we are weighing whether a portable depth finder is really necessary...also would have to buy one which is part of the issue(at least $130-150..or so) We do have a paper map so we wont be totally blind. So what should we do????

If you are going to a flyin with really good water and the outfitter is going to mark up a map for you, I would think you would be fine without the graph.

It also depends on the time of the year in my opinion, if its the spring and you are just fishing wind blown shorelines - then no for sure. If it's mid summer and the fish are on the humps - then yes you will need it to find the humps.\

Talk to your outfitter and ask him his opinion, he would be the best one to know if you need one or not.

What lake are you going to?

Good Luck

It will help, but they are not needed. Quality fly in lakes are easy to fish. A depth finder will save you time finding submerged structure. Have your outfitter mark a lake map, that will help you to get a starting point, and during your week you will be able to branch off new areas you find on your own.

Best thing to do, consult your outfitter as he knows the lake first hand you are fishing.

If it was myself personally, I would have one. Just so I know what depths Im fishing and help save time finding underwater structure. If you happen to find fish in these areas, will save time searching for these locations and more time catching.

Do you have a Vexilar for ice fishing? If so, buy an open water transducer and a portable bracket and you are set. If not, look into any of the compact units with internal batteries. You may not have all the bells & whistles of the bigger units but it is nice to know where the bottom is.