• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heading out to fish the Hills this weekend, just wondering if any of the lakes were producing? My friend has never caught a trout before, just wondering if you guys think its too early and going to be a tough bite or if we might get a couple? We'll just be standing on shore, any suggestions on a lake to try first? Thanks!

My favorite lake out there is Deerfield. From what I've heard, the trout fishing is outstanding as soon as the ice goes off the lake. I've never made it out there early in the year like this, but apparently that is when the big brookies are caught. Don't be afraid to try different things out there. Some days crawlers on bottom work great, other days pitching small spoons or mepps is what works. Also, maybe give the GFP a call and see if they're stocking the ponds yet. If so, try Mitchell and Newton Lakes over by Hill City.

You might want to try Dalton Lake. It's located outside of Nemo off 385. It's not much more then a pond but, it does hold some nice trout. Also, you could try the shoerline on Pactola (also on 385) below the Visitors Center. Go down to the left as you are loking from the road. Or, Sheridan Lake, again, on 385 towards Hill City. There is a "pulloff" for parking and easy access to the water. Salmon eggs or corn produce on all 3 places.

For whatever reason we took on the weather this weekend and fishing-wise it paid off... Picked up a lot of Rainbows and a couple Crappies out of Horsetheif Saturday, kept a couple larger ones for supper and braved the weather Sunday to get home! Thanks for the help, but with the weather we kinda just fished lakes that we could "safely" access...