• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

115 etec H.O. or suzuki 140

fishhawk1750

I am looking at buying a new Alumacraft 175 Dominator. I need to decide between the Etec or the suzuki. I have read through lots of articules about both, but they are generally patting themselves on their own backs. What are everybody thoughts on which is better?

I don't have much experience with the evinrude, but I love the suzuki 140. Nice small package, light weight, good on fuel, smooth and silent as a submarine. Well not quite silent as a submarine but nice and quiet. This will be my third year with one. Good luck.

I don't have either...but have been in an Alumacraft with the Suzuki...it was very smooth and impressive.

I spoke at length with a dealer that had lots of issues with the E-tec and not great support for the factor too. Mainily computer/electrical issues..and a few blown.

I love my Suzuki Kingquad.

Suzuki is an overlooked brand IMO, but very good quality.

I have the 115 etec on my 18.5 Smokercraft. Best motor I have ever run. Problems = 0. Better fuel economy, quieter then a 4 stroke, more environmentally friendly, more power, etc. Friend of mine in litchfield has the Suzuki 140. He likes it and it seems to be good. But he has a Crestliner same length as mine but he doesn't have the full windshield so I'm guessing his boat is lighter. He still can't beat me in a race and at the end of the day fishing on the pond were we fish together go the same places all day. He takes on more at the pump after a day of fishing too. But he hasn't had any trouble with that motor.

This is my third year with suzuki 140. It has been bullet proof as far as mechanical goes. I have a 18 footer lund fisherman and it seems a bit underpower but that is my only compliant. top speed is 44 MPH on a good day. With all that being said I'm happy with the motor and would buy a suzuki again except I'll max out the boats HP recomendation.Good luck with whatever motor you choose.

I went in to get my rig and had my mind set on coming out with a Honda..

They wrote up the price w/the 135 Honda, and at the last minute, they threw me an offer on the 175 Suzuki.. 3grand less and 40hp more, just that it was last years model 07'.. Had to go with it.

Only been one season, but i wouldn't even mind paying 3g more for it now.. well maybe. smile

GL!

If its a tough call stick the $400 into an electronics upgrade.

You will spend that in gas in just a year or 2. But if you are trading every few years then no biggie. But I tend to keep my boats at least 10-15 years.

What do E-Tec owners burn through for oil? That is a factor worth noting, I would think. 4 stroke = $15 motor oil plus $10 filter once a year.

What do you burn in an ETec? (not being negative, just asking, honestly :-)

Fishhawk,

My previous boat was an 2006 Alumacraft Dominator 175CS with a 2005 140 Johnson 4 stroke. The Johnson is the same motor as the Suzuki, just a different cowling. I loved the boat and the motor was flawless for 2 years. I sold the boat to a buddy and do not know of any issues he has had. The only reason I sold the boat was because I upgraded to a fiberglass boat with a full windshield.

I started with an aluminum prop then went to a ss 3 blade prop and the performance was much improved. I think a got 41-42 with the alum. and 44-45 with the ss prop. I saw the most improvement on holeshot with the ss prop.

The Johnson was wisper quite and sipped the gas. I also heard that it was more like a 120 hp motor, but to me it was more than enough hp for the 175 dominator.

I have heard many good things about the e-tech's but have no personal experience. I have two skidoo snowmobiles (also Bombardier) and love the engines and have nothing but praise for them.

If i were you I would take the savings on the Suzuki and upgrade/add to your electronics, trolling motor, or add splash guards.

Matt

I've heard nothing bad bout suzkies

I have a 150 e tec sometimes i just go down to dock and start cuz i like to listen to it purr lol (true) i did have one problem with something about fuel pump but was under warrenty

and taken care of no problems it got great power i have it on a 20ft Yar Craft faily heavy boat it pushes right out of the water theres never a time i cant see over the nose of the boat

planns in secounds

i can also troll down to 2.5 going foaerd on flat water perfect for pullin cranks also the slightest chop can back troll with it to it pushes by boat 44 mph and reading some different threads i dont believe the 4 strokes can run with me i ran with 200 yamaha last summer on a skeeter kicked his but he kinda finally caught up to me but even my gf said geez it took him for ever to plan out we were up and gone

u do hafta a spendy oil but i just rad that they can set it way down so you done go threw alot of it I ve only had one yr but so far so good and also i have ski doos to so i believe in bombardier

I can't say anything good or bad about the e-tec, cuz I haven't owned / run with one before. I've heard stories good and bad, but no first hand experience.

I can say nothing but good about the Suzuki DF 140. I'm on my 3rd year with mine and love it. Have mine on a Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro. No problems at all. Trolls down nicely (use it trolling at night in shallow water and, yes, catch fish) and is very quiet. Good luck with your decision.

What do E-Tec owners burn through for oil? That is a factor worth noting, I would think. 4 stroke = $15 motor oil plus $10 filter once a year.

What do you burn in an ETec? (not being negative, just asking, honestly :-)

I have a 115 and its set up to use xd100. I can go all season on about a gallon.

How many gallons of fuel would that be to your "one gallon" of oil?

Your season and my season might not be the same. I thought Opti-max's took about 1 gallon of oil every 50 gallons of gas, which is obviously 50:1 gas/oil mixture. I'm guessing the E-Tec's are better. Anyone?