• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Input needed: Trolling Motor Batteries

bapperpimp

Question

I just bought a new 36V MinnKota trolling motor and am looking for opinions on what type of batteries to buy.

Has anybody had better luck with certain brands/types compared to others?

Or should a guy just go to their favorite mass sports retailer and pick one up?

8 answers to this question

A really good battery for the money is FleetFarm's Group 27 AGM made by East Penn. $155.95 each. The Cabelas brand has good specs, but be sure to check the terminals as you may need to change your leads to fit them?

You need to pay attention to reserve capacity or the number of reserve minutes. Even though the Walmart batteries are cheaper they are much lower in the number of reserve minutes, ie. they won't last as long because there's not as much lead inside the battery. In Group 27 batteries you can get at least 3 different sizes (ie. reserve capacities) and that dictates the price.

I just put a new pair of Interstate deep cycle batteries in my boat.

Dunno if they're made anymore, but I had excellent results with Stowaway brand.

I say dunno if they're made anymore because my last pair went eight years. It's been a long time since I last looked at battery brands.

Got them at Sam's Club, fwiw.

Exide makes a great line of marine batteries that last years and they're below 100 bucks each for the 1800 Minute reserve size Series 27. You can get them at most local Auto stores, like O'Reilly, Champion, Checker. JUst Google Exide and look for a local distrubutor on their web site.