• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Packers diamond wrap

After UpNorth's encouragement I decided to try my first diamond wrap. While it was not too complicated it was time consuming. I still need practice (plenty of little gaps) but I was happy with the results (so far)

I am debating adding more to it (possibly more green as the yellow on white blends a little too much).

Let me know what you think.

GPwrap.jpg

GPwrapClose.jpg

Looks good, especially for your first attempt. Yes they are time consuming. I have spent over 6 hours on a few elaborate butt wraps. But they look so cool when they are done.

Some tips:

Packing threads is an art of it's own. I can tell you first off, it is difficult to pack threads over an unfinished wrap like you did. Best to put a coat of epoxy over the threads first.

Get some thread packing tools. I use a sharpened cheapo hard plastic brush that you would use for epoxy or color preserver. I sharpen it like you would a cold chisel. It allows me to push the threads up tight and still not cut them like you would with metal.

When you are packing threads in a pattern, start at the edges and then push in the corners where the threads cross, depending on the pattern I do this every 3 to 6 passes.

Pay attention to the crosses and pack from both sides evenly as that will keep your pattern in a straight line.

If you have any questions, list em and I will try to help.

UpNorth,

I am going to put a two prong hook keep at the base, just above the winding check. I wasn't sure how to temporarily hold it there but was thinking a little bit of CA glue (but wasn't sure if it would hurt the thread) or tip-top adhesive. I was thinking the upper (rod tip end) would be the lock on the diamond wrap, and then I would cut off the wrap thread so the ends would be under that - then finish the back prong (not sure if that makes sense...).

Any advice?

Thanks

Here is how I finish the wraps. I would clear some of the excess so it looks like the second one, well at least clear the design threads and then I would do what you normally do for guides to wrap them on. I don't thing a little super glue or tip to adhesive would hurt anything either.

Under the masking tape is a basic wrap to hold the design thread in place. I just tape over it to hold it while it is trimmed. You would then add your hook keeper where you just trimmed the threads.

Trimmed.jpg

trimedandready.jpg

Here is packing threads

tightenpattern-1.jpg

Glad to help. And I think if you spend some time packing the threads it will only improve. One thing a person has to remind themselves is there is no real hurry, and for most of us it is just a hobby.