• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blind placement - woods vs. field

NoodleSalad

Our blinds are pretty much always on a field edge, but I could see a timber set working from noon on. Turkeys like to loaf in the timber as they prepare to head towards the roost later in the afternoon.

I'd set up on a field edge where your decoys can work for you. Most birds will be in the fields at least part of just about everyday.

If you stay to the woods your decoys won't be much help and I believe its easier to call a bird out of the woods than it is to call one into the woods.

I would set up, so the birds can see your decoys from a distance. It could be in a field, on top of a knoll on a field edge, etc. In the woods on a logging trail or a open area in the woods. Also patterning the birds can pay off big time, knowning where they like to mill around, feed, and get a drink of water. If you know that , you will know where to set up your blind.

What season are you hunting? Makes a difference regarding strategies as does the weather.

If it's raining you'll find me hunting fields, pastures or roads all day long. During mid day hours I'll be hunting established strut zones whether they are in the woods or in the fields. After the first couple of season I rarely use a decoy unless it's a jake. Once the Tom's establish dominance and the hens are actively breeding decoys have had very mixed results for me. Costing me more birds than they lure in when I use a hen or a hen/jake combo. The jake alone seems to work pretty well as the tom still doesn't know where the hen is at and is not as likely to hang up.

Every scenario can be and is pined over with every point of view there is. Multiple choice (D). Over 11 years through 4 states and I have little confidence in decoys. I've tried everything from singles to flocks to real tail strutters both jake and tom, short staking with approaching jake and everything inbetween. Everything set to what I've believed was the current breeding period. I've had coyotes and foxes tackle them but the birds either hang-up or puss-out, yet I always bring them. I shot an old 30# bird on public land. I know I beat the MN state record! I piled up some leaves and did a three step scratch for an hour while he drummed 70yrds away. I normally go for the first part of May in MN. I don't feel I'm doing something wrong with decoys just..... "The only thing predictable about a wild turkey is that they will do something unpredictable." -WP

I'm not going to argue with anyones success or lack of with decoys but I've had great luck with them over the years. I also usually hunt early May in Wisconsin. Last year I shot my biggest bird ever at 13 yards, right in the middle of my decoys.

I've only been skunked once in the last 12 years or so. I'll bet at least 2/3 of those birds have been in the middle of my decoy set. I can only think of 3 or 4 times in those years that the birds shyed away from my set.

I have a jake tail I've dug out of the ice in the garage freezer. I was thinking of setting it into a 1/2 strut pose for my King Strut decoy. Do you think this sub-dominant pose will just alert a bird that there is another "dominant" bird in the area. -Or should I go with a full strut jake? The reason I bought it is because -with the little success I've had with decoys- I've believed that all my shortcomings with using them were due to pressured birds. Maybe they have not had an eerie experience with a strutter decoy. I hunt mostly public lands. I can't seem to find unhunted birds on private lands anymore. Alot has changed over the last 5-10 yrs. The sport has exploded and it's like trying to pheasant hunt on opener. How much to turkeys remember- for how long? I think there is no correct answer. Your at the bar with a buddy- there are two hotties inviting you to come sit- you work your way over and your friend gets shot in the face! Haha!!!

I think that should work if you are using a jake fan. I have done that in the past and have worked really good for me. As for turkeys remembering things well yes and no. I have spooked birds before and never came back and then i have had them come back a hour or 2 later. Man i hate when you get shot in the face when you are trying to pick up some hotties.