• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman Northstar Duel Fuel Lantern / Lighting

rod bender

Question

I'm thinking about purchasing the Coleman Northstar Duel Fuel Lantern for my ice shack. They say it's the brightest they make. Has anybody had any experiences with this new lantern or have any other ideas for lighting a shack?

------------------
Rodbender

8 answers to this question

I've got a Coleman Northstar propane single-mantle. Shoots great light, puts out more heat than my heater. Really like it. Haven't tried the dual-fuel.

Most night ice situations are on clear lakes, since most stained/dark water lakes don't have much of a night bite (yeah, it's a generalization that may have exceptions, like URL, but not too many). Over clear water, I think the lantern is way too bright, and you may want to knock it down toward the dim setting to keep from spooking those night biting walleyes.

If you don't need the extra heat, a lantern may not be worth the hassle. You've got to cool the thing off to avoid singeing stuff when you lay it down for the pack out, and the globes are cracks just waiting to happen, even if you the reinforced metal cage over it.

There are great battery operated lights out there that you wear on your head like a miner's light (check this forum for comments). They put out a lot of light when you need it and none when you don't. And since they're on your head, it's a lot easier pulling your portable out on foot in the dark without needing one had to hold up the lantern.

There also are nice little camping lanters with halogen bulbs that run off 6volt or other batteries. They sit upright and are durable. I keep one of those in my ice gear, too.

Good luck. grin.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-15-2002).]

Another thing I have noticed-sometimes the white-gas type lanterns can make it a little uncomfortable in the enclosed envirnment of a shelter-the fumes have made my eyes burn before. I do wear contacts and it was in a smaller 4x6 at the time so that might have made a difference. We had to really vent er good and froze our arses-caught a few though. That's why I went with propane.

I love my Coleman Northstar/Propane Lantern.

I use it for both light and heat in my Otter.

You need to be careful of the mantles, I always carry the thing in a padded case on
my lap.

I love it. I have no clue as to light keeping fish away, so I cant tell you anything there.

Curt Quesnell

Don't use these in your FishTraps or similar type portables because the fumes from unleaded gas are real poisoness and can be real irritable to your body! Just use the Coleman lantern fuel that burns a lot cleaner and you won't have any problems with your dual fuel lantern! Take from experience!

------------------
F-STOP

I bought one of these the first year they came out. the stem that holds the mantle fell off after 2-3 uses. I brought it back and got a new one and haven't had too many problems since. things i do know about this lantern are: it's a gas pig! I have mixed feelings about the valve they use, in real cold weather I have had the valve stick open and have had to hold it above my heater to get it to work, recently it stuck closed and wouldn't let me pressurize the tank. this unit uses a valve where you don't have to unscrew the stem and hold your thumb over the hole. I would only burn white gas in the unit, other gases do not burn clean. my unit does burn very clean. the mantles are pretty rugged for their size, I have not had a problem with them. this unit is very bright and over all I have been very happy with it, even with all the quirks. the electric start has been great, when we get to a new camp everyone tells me to break out the Northstar even though they all have lanterns too. would I buy another one? yes, I think I would. just my $.02