• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any atv mechanics on here

germanshorthairs

I have a 2004 500 arctic cat and I noticed on the cement in the garage that a seal went out in the rear gearcase. It is the seal that is next to the shaft from the motor. I was wondering if this is something I could fix myself or if any one has worked on this before. Any help would be great as $100 dollars an hour is hard to swallow. Thanks in advance.

That depends on mechanical capability and experience I would guess. Having a factory service manual is a big help and will also give you needed torque specs and such. Do you have all the tools needed? Buying a bunch of tools might not be cheaper than having a dealership do the work.

Are you refering to the seal exiting the trans case going to the rear driveshaft?

I have tools and am fairly mechanically inclined. The seal where the shaft from the motor enters the rear gearcase/differential. It looks like I will be able to separate the shaft and pull it out and then replace seal and reassemble. I called a couple of dealers and it sounds like a $150 bill should cover if I decide to have them fix it. I just thought someone may have done this or could tell me if it is worth to do myself. thanks

This would be the pinion seal. I've done a couple. If you feel you can get the driveshaft off and replace the old pinion seal getting it back together shouldnt be a problem. Make sure to install the new seal evenly and use a bit of oil to avoid damaging the new seal.