• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing print ?

Gordie

yesturday I was in Nashwauk MN checking out some deer hunting property and stope at this little cafe in town and there was a spearing print and hat to do a double take not sure who did it but it was a monster muskey under the hole with a spear in the water and the caption readsomthing like this:

You've waited a long time for the mnster pike to come into the hole and now you have to struggle not to spear this illeagle fish and spearing muskeys is not leagle.

I think that is pretty close to how it read maybe some knows who painted it it was a great print and would like to know more about it. I did take a pic of it with my phone but cant seem to find it on there will try to and post the pic if I find it. just found out from my son that you have to save the photo you take with your phone so my-bad next time I'm up there I will take a and save the photo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I pulled a rookie mistake I just got a new camera phone and didnt save the pic and I didnt know you had to cryconfused next time I head up there I'll take a pic and save it. will be spending lots of time on this new chunk of property as it has every thing from fish to deer

I know this is a little off subject but Merkman, at the decoy show did you happen to get a picture of that spearing print? Do you know the guys name? I really liked it and wished I would have brought a little bit more money to buy one.

I know this is a little off subject but Merkman, at the decoy show did you happen to get a picture of that spearing print? Do you know the guys name? I really liked it and wished I would have brought a little bit more money to buy one.

I got a hold of a guy who had his e-mail address.

I have an e-mail into him right now.

600_spear12.JPG

Ken Hedmark

Aquatic Reflections Gallery

The old man stood in a dark house instinctively working his jig stick and gazing into the semi-lit depths below. At the end of his line, a wooden decoy swam in a mesmerizing circle as though turning back the hands of time with its counter-clockwise movement. Seconds ticked the time back to the late nineteen-thirties when a day in the dark house usually meant bringing food to the table, and when each outing became an additional lesson in subsistence spearing.

As he gazed through the hole and into the depths, he remembered the first time when as a boy he had stood next to his father and watched; but being so young, his attention span was short. Then one day he again stood with his father, and on that day a large pike suddenly appeared under the hole. It was the first pike he had seen under water, and he became very excited about it. He watched the fish bump the decoy on the first pass as the pike instinctively tried to send the decoy into shock. At first the boy's shouts of excitement interrupted his father's concentration, but when the pike came back a second time the boy's father was ready and his spear connected just as rows of sharp teeth sank into the decoy. From that day on, the boy was always eager to follow his father to the dark house. After all, he had discovered that there was more to spearing than just putting food on the table; this was actually fun! He also remembered the day when his father constructed a second dark house just for him--a day that meant he had earned his place on the ice. As the years passed and the boy became a man, he acquired the steadfast patience of his father.

His father was gone now. Ten years had passed since they last spent an evening carving, pouring lead, and painting decoys, and he wished it could happen just one more time. Each year on this day he would come back to the lake where they had spent so much time together, and where he had spotted that first pike some fifty years earlier. And just as it was on that day, there it was, off to the right…coming in fast! But this pike looked much larger than the one he had seen fifty years ago. Suddenly, a young excited voice broke the silence. “Grampa! Grampa! A big one! Get him Grampa!”

That's a great photo. I don't see a lot of darkhouse spearing art...I don't know if artists think the Kouba series is untouchable or don't see the market or what but it sure makes for some sweet artwork!

my dad has all 3 of the les kouba dark house prints,

darkhouse_spearing.jpg

fall07.jpg

darkhouse_action.jpg

he says they are all original, they arent like the scanned prints that you can get now. and they all are the same number, which he says make them even more valuable.

im not sure if he is telling the truth, or anything. ill get pics the next time im there.

but they are definately works of art for sure

lets trade. mines A 97 WITH A 185,000. crazylaughwink anyway i thought les kouba had only those 3 prints, how many others are there? besides gotta give ya a hard time. smirklaugh

les kouba has only done 3 dark house spearing prints. but he has many other prints.

here is a list of his paintings, there may be more but idk

fishing prints.

Bass AM

Bass at Daybreak,

Bass Feeding

Bye Bye Blackbird

Darkhouse Action

Darkhouse Finale

Darkhouse Spearing

Live Log

Northern ala Froglegs

Northern Feeding on Perch