• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using two poles for summer fishing?

tray

<<I disagree with that, this site represents a good cross section of fishermen in MN. I really don't care how the non-fishers feel about the issue.>>

It's the method that's used. It's not random. Having people respond to a poll is much different then random calling and getting opinions. It's not scientific.

Generally yes, but when the question is a simple do you support it or not it lends itself to easy interpretation.

Some online polls can be worded to sway the outcome one way or the other.

While yes it's not scientific, and it's not random. I get the feeling by talking with people and the chatter here in addition to the informal poll the majority of fisherman would support the use of two lines.

the statement most people take limits ! i dont think is accurate

i would say less than 30% of people fishin get a limit

theres an old sayin 90% of the fish caught are caught by 10%

of the fisherman

what difference does it make if you take 6 fish with one line or two

This site does have a good cross section of fisherman but what is odd not what one person has said they would use 2 lines to help catch their limit or more fish, I can tell you plenty of people that have said this outside of a public forum.

So why are they not voicing their opinion on a public forum could it be it may hamper the cause, or is it sportsmen who lean on the conservation side congregate together.

Or could it be, and has been shown, that if one puts forth an opinion that leans the other way your foot gets choped off. Case in point; one mentions taking a 21 inch walleye or wishing he could take more than that 1 home watch out you will be missing some toes.

Not trying to be contraversial only stating what I see and hear that so far has not been covered.

The DNR has stated that from what they're hearing, most do not favor two lines. The DNR itself is opposed to two lines. I don't know about the Outdoor News poll.

Gregg52, you are correct. In fact, around 7% of all anglers catch a limit. And that's the problem. Using two lines would result in more than 7% catching a limit, thereby harming the fish population. I would assume the resource could be in jeopardy since rules to lower the limit and instituting slots have recently occurred.

dtro, when you pose a question such as: "Do you favor using two lines", those that want it tend to be those that respond. Those that are OK with the status quo, or are opposed simply don't respond at all. So the results are skewed.

dtro, when you pose a question such as: "Do you favor using two lines", those that want it tend to be those that respond. Those that are OK with the status quo, or are opposed simply don't respond at all. So the results are skewed.

yes, I can understand that and see where you are coming from. I get both sides here. Very good arguments.

its tough when crafting a poll question or when you're polling a specific segment of the population

there's inherent bias on FM or Outdoor News because of the demographics that use those respective venues.

I think a poll including questions such as "do you favor being able to use 2 lines" and "would you be in favor of increasing fish populations" and so forth, you'd get a very interesting response.

I think people support the idea of 2 lines but might not like the consequences that go with it. Grass is always greener, want their cake and eat it too, etc

The DNR has stated that from what they're hearing, most do not favor two lines.

You can chalk that up to same reasoning used to discredit the informal polls.....who is prone to respond or call in? People who are in favor of two lines aren't going to call the DNR, only the ones afraid of change are going to make the call. In fact, they wouldn't even allow discussion of it at one of their famed "round table" discussions, so what they are hearing and what they WANT to hear are two different things as it always has been with them.

At the end of the day the legislature makes the decisions, just as it was the legislature who made the decision to set the current 1-line rule about a hundred years ago before there was even such a thing as the DNR. That being said, it's one of the reasons why the proponents of the two-line bill are contacting their legislators, those elected to represent us, and not the DNR.

The only way I'd be interested in using a second line is if I were, for example, panfishing with one line, and had a sucker under a bobber for a northern on another line. Sort of like using a tip up in the winter. I wouldn't personally use two rods for most fishing.

I think that's all we're looking for, blackdog1101....the choice of one or two lines, and I think most will still be using one line for the majority of their fishing time even if they have that choice.

Back when the debate was going on in MN about the right to carry they said if it passed their would be blood running in the streets. Well we all know that didn't happen and was dramatized for effect, much like what is happening here if two lines are allowed.

I say make it legal. It is pretty simple, there is no law proposed requiring anyone to use two lines. If you don't want to use two lines than don't and if you want to use two lines then use two lines. It is that simple! Are two lines going to have a negative effect on the fishery? I really doubt it. Has anyone noticed a negative effect on the boundry waters or on waters in all the other states that have a two or more line law?

During open winters and good ice I may see a couple hundred houses on a lake and at times two thirds of the house may be inhabited by two or more people armed with two lines and awesome electronics including cameras. If this senario dosn't raise heck on the fish population odds are the two line open water law won't have an effect either.

The only way I'd be interested in using a second line is if I were, for example, panfishing with one line, and had a sucker under a bobber for a northern on another line. Sort of like using a tip up in the winter. I wouldn't personally use two rods for most fishing.

I wish I could fish for two species at the same time using 2 lines. Casting for whatever's around and fishing cut bait or corn or something for rough fish/catfish would be nice.

i would be all for two lines year around. I would even be willing to pay for it. you could just add a $5.00 fee for two lines like they do for the early goose hunting. if you want it you pay if you don't you can only use one the added money could go to the fish stocking programs

I honeslty believe that in a few years one will be able to use 2 lines for open water.

We can manage the resource with fisherman using two lines.

I honestly believe that if the law is changed in a few years to allow 2 lines, to manage the resource the limits of fish will be reduced sometimes soon afterward.

<<<At the end of the day the legislature makes the decisions, just as it was the legislature who made the decision to set the current 1-line rule about a hundred years ago before there was even such a thing as the DNR. That being said, it's one of the reasons why the proponents of the two-line bill are contacting their legislators, those elected to represent us, and not the DNR.>>>

And I guess herein lies the problem. The people who know and study these things should be making these decisions. The health of the fish resource should not be a political issue, but a scientific one. You hire good, qualified people and allow them to do their job. If the DNR is saying they do not think allowing two lines is a good idea, then I would go along with that. I'd rather error on the side of a healthy fish population.

You hire good, qualified people and allow them to do their job.

Not letting people do their job is a particular pet peeve of mine. What's the point in paying someone to study something so you can make informed decisions if you ignore their studies because the results are different than what you were hoping for?

Unfortunately this happens in government all the time, most notably with the environment.