• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using two poles for summer fishing?

tray

Where is the incentive for the legislature to do this?

Look at it this way, limits on fish are being lowered to conserve the resource, slot restrictions are becoming common to manage size, and more pressure is hitting the lakes every year. Why would two lines be endorsed as an idea in alignment with those trends?

Look at it this way it would clear up a lot of lake congestion. Two lines and smaller limits would mean less time on the water and therefore possibly less traffic on lakes.

Maybe it would be a good thing but personally I have a hard enough time fishing with one line on occasion and would not even want to hassle with two lines. Again that is just me.

Last sping there was talk of being able to run two lines this year. Has anyone heard of thing about this?

Yes, last year a bill was in the legislature to allow two lines on open water but it did not pass.

The bill was introduced again this year and it is in the House version of the Omnibus Game and Fish bill but not the Senate's. It will probably come down to the conference committee again (as it did last year where it was removed) unless an amendment is made and accepted when the Senate votes on their Omnibus bill this session.

Both Omnibus Game and Fish bills should be hitting the floor in the next week or two.

Look at it this way it would clear up a lot of lake congestion. Two lines and smaller limits would mean less time on the water and therefore possibly less traffic on lakes.

Maybe it would be a good thing but personally I have a hard enough time fishing with one line on occasion and would not even want to hassle with two lines. Again that is just me.

I believe it is up to 3 lines in the summer now in sconie, as it reads it is illegal to fish with more than 3 hooks, baits or lure.

I think with all culling or holding one back from the limit I don't think the lakes will clear any sooner.

To me it dont much matter, I'm like you Bottle Fish one is enough for me. On occasion I will do 2 on the St.Croix but not often at all.

I have wanted 2 lines for years. Especially when I am trolling crankbaits and am alone or when fishing is slow. Nice to see when one color or bait is better than another. I fished the Croix for years that way. Now that I live in Baudette I wish I could on the Rainy. As mentioned here there are times when 2 lines is a pain but I would like to make that decision myself.

I'd like to see you be able to use 2 lines when trolling at least. There aren't too many other times I want to use 2 lines anyway. I'll be doing a lot of fishing by myself this year as I am new to the state and don't know anybody yet to go fishing with so I'd like to be able to troll with 2 lines.

Just becasue you CAN fish with 2 lines, doesnt mean you will.

I live in a state and fish in a different state that allows multiple lines and the only time Id ever have two lines in the water is trolling plugs alone in the boat. Or, possibly perch fishing with a dead stick.

Tis better to fish one line well, than 2 lines poorly.

ya it would take alittle gettin use to

pullin cranks and bobber fishing it would be cool

depends on how you runing ur boat if i'am on the bow steering with my feet then you could rig or jig with both hand but it would take some gettin use to if ur running a tiller i dunno

i'm old but up for new tricks lol

Minnesota DNR studies have shown that around 7% of all fishermen actually catch a limit of fish. If every one used two lines more would catch limits thereby hurting the resource. (Think of it this way, if you went fishing today by yourself, and then the next day went fishing with your buddy. You don't think you'd catch more fish fishing with your buddy? That one line vs two). Having a limit wouldn't make a difference. Otherwise, why stop at two? Let everyone use ten lines. You can't compare to what other states are doing. Wisconsin doesn't allow trolling, and many of their lakes in the ceded areas have limits as low as only one fish. As someone has already said, a year or two ago there was talk of lowering the limit for walleyes to as low as two, and with slot limits, and many lakes going to a limit of four why would you want to risk hurting the resource by allowing two lines. Just doesn't make sense. Most people are happy with it just the way it is.

As I understand it, one line HAD to be bobber only, so it wouldn't be practical to ALWAYS use 2 lines.

I lived in SD for a few years, no closed season and 2 lines anytime. It certainly didn't hurt the resource. I caught more walleyes there than in most lakes here in MN. And yes, I have heard the argument "well there is less people than in MN." , but there are more lakes here. To me, it won't matter much.

Minnesota DNR studies have shown that around 7% of all fishermen actually catch a limit of fish.

just curious, do these studies publish what % of fishermen are catch and release only?

I'd gladly take a limit of 1 or 0 walleye/northerns/bass for 2 lines in open water.

If the mn dnr sets the walleye limit at 4 or 6 or whatever for that matter(not to mention slots), they must be prepared for the worst case scenario: Most people taking limits of fish most or every time they go fishing.

That’s why the dnr set's a # limit; because in their opinion, that’s how many fish can be safely taken and still sustain the population.

Personally I would like to see MN allow the use of two lines in summer. I mostly CPR and only keep what I can cook fresh (no freezing of fillets for me), so for me and others who would do the same, the use of an extra line would have no impact on the overall fish population. As stated above, it would only make my time on the water more efficient.

A poll taken here is not a good indication of people's thinking across Minnesota. It's not a good sampling.

I disagree with that, this site represents a good cross section of fishermen in MN. I really don't care how the non-fishers feel about the issue.

<<If the mn dnr sets the walleye limit at 4 or 6 or whatever for that matter(not to mention slots), they must be prepared for the worst case scenario: Most people taking limits of fish most or every time they go fishing.

That’s why the dnr set's a # limit; because in their opinion, that’s how many fish can be safely taken and still sustain the population.>>

Makes sense, but that's not how it works. I talked to the DNR, and they set limits by what's actually happening. Think Mille Lacs.

<<I disagree with that, this site represents a good cross section of fishermen in MN. I really don't care how the non-fishers feel about the issue.>>

It's the method that's used. It's not random. Having people respond to a poll is much different then random calling and getting opinions. It's not scientific.