• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor upgrade..thoughts?

311Hemi

Any thoughts on if it would be worth trading a 2002 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke for a 1999 Merc 175 EFI, if a guy were to find someone selling that may be willing to trade? Assuming hours and engine checked out good.

The 115 moves the 2002 Sportfish I bought just fine and I really like the Yamaha......but the thought of moving up to a 175hp for little to know money has crossed my mind. Just not sure if a trade like this would be worth it going to a little older engine. I plan to keep the boat for number of years and figured at some point I may look at upgrading to a little bigger used outboard (that could be 5 years from now) but am in no hurry. Not sure how the Merc EFI engines compare.

Book value on the Yamaha is $1000 higher.

I guess the main reason would be for more top end (currently at around 37-38 mph), not pushing the outboard as hard when weighted down, and never having to worry about how much weight is in the boat. I will be doing water sports occasionally and I think the 175 would be a better setup for that. Drawbacks would be louder engine, going to a 2 stroke (more smoke), I would guess higher trolling speed, and I would also guess not as fuel efficient.

Your right...it's an 1850. I might be able to work out an even up trade installed. Everyone says to buy the most HP you can....and I am pretty sure I will eventually upgrade...just not sure this Merc would be the right choice plus it's 3 years older than my current engine.