• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

C'mere Deer

No secret.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Helpful hints: The best time to put it out is March/April and I put all 200 lbs in one hole. Also I like a water source to be within 100 yards.

I have done the same thing for a couple of years now. another ingredient to add, although would double your price, is something containing 15% phosphorous or more. this promotes milk developement in does, and antlers in bucks. i get it all from fleet farm, back by the horse and cattle stuff.

i got a 50 lb bag of calcium, 50 lb bag of trace mixin salt, a 50 lb bag of hy-phos, and 3 50lb white brine salt blocks for 38 bucks!

believe me, i think this set up works better than the stuff you buy speciffically for deer. they leave huge holes in the ground eatin the dirt going after this blend. i mix mine in thirds, according to weight.

oh yeah, like harvey said, you'll want to be somewhat close to a water source. all that loose salt makes the deer pretty thirsty, and you don't want them to have to travel far for a few gulps of water.

I used the same recipe a couple years ago and put out a handful of test sights one spring. Unfortunately one of the areas I had chosen for a couple of them were logged over. I could still see some sign the deer were in the area of the mineral pit, but it wasn't always clear. I did have two other sites where the deer just pawed the ground down and made the hole twice as large. This stuff works great and is cheap.

Used CMere deer last year hunting, also sprayed a bunch of it on the bushes in front of our house in Minnetonka last fall(we usually have deer walking through the yard) and noticed that there were a few tracks comming over to check out the bushes over the winter. They didnt eat the bushes, but apparently were interested in the smell.

i checked my "salt" stations last weekend. the deer have definetly been using them. feces all over the place, and they have already been pawing up the ground next to the salt. the mix may be a bit salty, but deer prefer the salt saturated soil anyways, as in time, you'll have holes 2 feet deep, and 3 feet across!

put out that mix last weekend harvey. It cost me 44$ at the local fleet farm but compared to cmere deer and deer cocaine, still alot cheaper and definatly worth it. Ive used the cocaine in the past and they really like that, every spring they are using last years site before i even freshen it up. We will see what this new mix does for em.