• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat ??????'s

Fredd

Looking for some direction on a good mechanic in the St Cloud area. Looking for a good tune up person at a reasonable rate. Also have some questions about when to change the belt, what viscosity on the oil and other general maintenance things that I should be looking at on a new to me 2004 500 Arty with 1000 miles.

Thanks guys!

Country Cat in Sauk Centre is the best service dept around, bar none. A little drive, but well worth it!

You should really never need to change the belt. As long as it stays dry, clean and free of oil it should last a long long time. My dad has 24000 miles, yes, 24000 miles and he has only replaced the belt once and that was because a seal went and it leaked oil on it.

You shouldnt need to change the oil any sooner than every 1000 miles. Go with the ACX oil (Arctic Cat) because it is wet clutch safe. When you change the oil, just check the front and rear diffs for fluid level and color making sure it isnt milky. A quick tip on checking it, use a regular twist tie from a loaf of bread. Bend it nearly in half and put it in the top hole on either diff, when you pull it out, the fluid should be up about 1 inch on the tie. If not, you need to add some. It is a touch and go type thing no magic.

One thing you should check is the shock and A arm bushings as they are known not to be very good. If you dont catch it in the the holes can oblong and cause you some more serious issues. The newer ones from AC are better, but there are some aftermarket ones that are much better. Might be worth checking into.

Thanks Captain for the feedback. I am assuming that the arms will wiggle to let me know if they are loose/wore?? They don't appear to have any play as of yet (grandma didn't do much off roading).

You never know what granma went through! LOL

Yeah, there should be a little play or more pronounced noise as you drive and the suspension moves. It would probably just be a good idea to take out the shock bolts and check them. Pretty easy to do and then at least you have piece of mind.

Other than that, add gas, change oil and have years of enjoyment. These machines last a long long time.